[Done] Attaching ABP blockable item window to the bottom

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Adblock Plus filters any content document loaded, it is universal regardless of what crazy extension you use. The list of blockable elements however needs some (one!) window it can attach to and it needs a clear way to know when it has to switch to another window. And I see only one meaningful way: the main content window is the only one we care about even though extensions might add a dozen others that are visible at the same time. Anything else will only cause confusion because it isn't clear which window the list applies to right now.
this confuses me since Split Browser added an auto focus and a focusring (on mouseover, with optional delay, not just click, per my request) so it's very clear what window is the 'current' window.

wp i realize you have other things on your list etc. so i'm not debating that : D but if ABP didn't block ads in other panes, it would be a bug. if it then won't show the items blocked in other panes, that's a bug too. i don't see the difference, from a usage view, between 'main' window and any other, maybe that's the problem.
Wladimir Palant wrote:My conclusion: trying to work around the quirks of Split Browser is too much effort. In the next release I will list it under known issues, sorry.
how about Tb with or without xSidebar? or is an inline blocked items not available there. or are they all 'quirky' ; )

i'm really arguing for a generic way to segment the main window and allow for xul or html pages to be placed freeform - which i realize isn't the mission here..
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

From what I can tell xSidebar is a SeaMonkey extension bringing Firefox' sidebar APIs to SeaMonkey. What does it have to do with Thunderbird? Or is there another xSidebar extension?

Generic solutions are great - if you can propose one (in terms of actual code) I will happily consider it. Right now I can only see that there is no generic way (for either Adblock Plus or the user) to tell which window is currently "active" if several of them are displayed at the same time. Even after your explanation I can't figure out how Split Browser decides which window is the active one, so I can't expect other users to figure this out. Note that there is no generic way to find out when this "active" window changes. Until these problems find a satisfactory solution I will always consider the primary window to be the active window.

Note that "Reload" in the context menu of a split pane will always reload the primary window, same with the "Reload" in the toolbar and similar functions. You can consider it a bug - but it is not a bug the browser developers are responsible for. Same goes for the list of blockable items.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:From what I can tell xSidebar is a SeaMonkey extension bringing Firefox' sidebar APIs to SeaMonkey. What does it have to do with Thunderbird? Or is there another xSidebar extension?
http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/tsidebar/index.html. he's got a lot of things load there but for some reason not yet ABP.
Wladimir Palant wrote:Generic solutions are great - if you can propose one (in terms of actual code) I will happily consider it. Right now I can only see that there is no generic way (for either Adblock Plus or the user) to tell which window is currently "active" if several of them are displayed at the same time. Even after your explanation I can't figure out how Split Browser decides which window is the active one, so I can't expect other users to figure this out. Note that there is no generic way to find out when this "active" window changes. Until these problems find a satisfactory solution I will always consider the primary window to be the active window.
do you have the latest? there is a visual black border (can be styled for anything) placed on window in focus, on mouseover. set splitbrowser.subbrowser.autoFocus=true. node subbrowser has an attribute subbrowser-focused=true if the window has focus, so obviously SB has a mouseover event listener to set this. or else piro can tell you what to listen for..
Wladimir Palant wrote:Note that "Reload" in the context menu of a split pane will always reload the primary window, same with the "Reload" in the toolbar and similar functions. You can consider it a bug - but it is not a bug the browser developers are responsible for. Same goes for the list of blockable items.
the pane's page will reload if you use its own toolbar's reload button, but yes it sure is a bug with SB that it doesn't reload the right pane via context menu or main toolbar button.. he should enhance those yes. perhaps you have a point, but altering ABP blocked items is much harder than changing a button's oncommand, and since ABP has to get the right window anyway, it's less messy if it expanded its listening for focused window.