[WontFix] ctrl+shift+v adblock conflict in Firefox 16

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
lewisje

Re: [WontFix] ctrl+shift+v adblock conflict in Firefox 16

Post by lewisje »

Although I've never used Ctrl+Shift+V for its standard use, I too agree that the blockable-items shortcut should be changed to Ctrl+Shift+U by default, now that I know Ctrl+Shift+V has a standard use.

EDIT I just noticed Resurrect Pages uses Ctrl+Shift+U for page-resurrection, and I've tested all the other letters of the alphabet and it looks like only Ctrl+Shift+Y and Ctrl+Shift+Z aren't already used by some other reasonably popular extension (like Firebug) or by the browser itself (it's not a good idea to override Ctrl+Shift+A, Ctrl+Shift+B, Ctrl+Shift+T, or Ctrl+Shift+W, for example).
Maybe a better precedence order is "Accel Shift U, Accel Shift Y, Accel Shift Z"
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
amanteaux

Post by amanteaux »

How come this shortcut hasn't been changed yet ??

Since this shortcut is officially listed in Firefox documentation, this shortcut should be changed in ABP. There is no reason to keep forcing people changing it manually through about:config.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

As a little update, now that I'm aware of Ctrl+Shift+V, I use it all the time to paste text into Outlook Web App: It beats pasting into Notepad and then copy-pasting.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
eloyd

Post by eloyd »

about:config may let the user change it, but you should have an option to disable the keyboard shortcuts in general. This is basic UI/UX.
fabrice

Post by fabrice »

It is really annoying to have to go through about:config to change this shortcut.

Moreover, the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+V means everywhere "past content without formatting"... except in adblock where it opens a useless menu :/
When will you change this awful shortcut ?
seventhpaw

Post by seventhpaw »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Ctrl+Shift+V is listed in the official Firefox documentation now.
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/keyboard ... ks-quickly
Because the Ctrl+Shift+V shortcut been officially documented as a default browser shortcut since 2014, the default for adblock should NOT be Ctrl+Shift+V.
Relying on users to use about-config to change the defaults to something that is not a default firefox shortcut is bad design, and lazy.

As the initial WontFix decision was made in 2012 before the adoption of the default shortcut by firefox, and the number of users who have continued to complain about this issue, this should be reopened and fixed.
forku

Post by forku »

Ctrl + Shift + V is well known for pasting without format, why do you do this? fork u!
crick

Post by crick »

+1 What a pain in the ass. Instead of making this keyboard shortcut defaulted as "active" and force users to dig through the arcanery of this forum to discover "Hidden Options" (WTF?), don't make this option active by default. Let the power users of Adbock discover the hidden option to activate this keyboard shortcut.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

crick wrote:+1 What a pain in the ass. Instead of making this keyboard shortcut defaulted as "active" and force users to dig through the arcanery of this forum to discover "Hidden Options" (WTF?), don't make this option active by default. Let the power users of Adbock discover the hidden option to activate this keyboard shortcut.
Actually, a better idea would be to just change the default shortcut to one of the current backups, Accel+Shift+U, which AFAIK is not normally used for another purpose.
oshawkat

Post by oshawkat »

I signed up to lend my vote - hopefully this shows enough demand for them to fix this.

I only see this issue in Firefox (48.0) and not Chrome. Please disable or remap this default shortcut - the current default conflicts with a common cross-system combo. It shouldn't be on users to dig through why this standard function isn't working as expected and then have to manually reconfigure it.
jonthegrocer

Post by jonthegrocer »

(OP here) I agree with a number of the previous commenters.

Hacking settings through about:config is (1) completely inobvious to the vast majority of your users, (2) user-hostile, and (3) inimical to proper, modern (as in, within the last 20 years) user interface design.

It's barely one step away from telling a Windows user to fire up REGEDT32, hack some registry settings, and reboot.

Please, make this a UI feature. For pity's sake, I've been programming for over 40 years, and it didn't occur to me that you'd bury the settings deep in about:config - what chance does (say) your mother have?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »