[Feature request] disable generic hiding rules only

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Lain_13

[Feature request] disable generic hiding rules only

Post by Lain_13 »

Hi,

It's often needed on sites with adblock detection to be able to disable generic hiding rules since such sites often using them to detect presence of adblock or break functionality for adblock users. It's possible to disable them completely using 'elemhide' but this blocks usage of site-specific hiding rules and breaks ability to hide content in third-party frames.

So, I'd like to see something like ||site.name^$generichide which will disable only filters which is not assigned to any specific domain.
Wladimir Palant

Re: [Feature request] disable generic hiding rules only

Post by Wladimir Palant »

In principle, we are already doing this in Chrome for a few (hardcoded) websites, to work around a Chromium issue. The only problem I would see with that: it would be inconsistent. $elemhide applies to an entire page, including its subframes. Having $generichide apply to subframes doesn't make much sense I guess...
Lain_13

Post by Lain_13 »

And such behavior of elemhide is actually a bug. It must not be applied to frames (since they are stand-alone sub-pages) yet it is applied.
So, there are no reason to keep it consistent.
famlam

Post by famlam »

I agree with lain_13 on that.
Unlike $document, which is used to whitelist whole sites (mostly by users, hardly by list authors) and therefore should also affect it's subframes, the purposes of $elemhide I could find in filter lists are to work around adblock detection scripts and to fix sites of ad related sites. However, such anti-adblock scripts are rarely active in the (third-party) subframes on those same pages. So if we could limit the effects of disabling all hiding rules to only first-party sub- and top frames, that would be a win.
Lain_13

Post by Lain_13 »

Actually I think that this feature should substitute existing elemhide functionality. Elemhide is just too powerful and disbalanced as it is. From my point of view it will be win-win. It will keep generic filters away as existing elemhide functionality, yet it will not work in the frames and will allow using site-specific filters (two features which existing elemhide feature doesn't provide).