Feature Request: Editing HTML elements

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Nintynuts

Feature Request: Editing HTML elements

Post by Nintynuts »

Hi,
This isn't really chrome specific, but I couldn't see the 'General' forum the future development forum mentioned, so mods please move this if necessary...

I have been using adblock for some time and I often like to hide sections of the page which I am not interested in, as well as ads.
However, some elements I want to keep but they float or they don't autosize or they're too big/small etc.
I thought it would be really useful if adblock would allow rules for doing this, similar to the attribute filters.
Something like:

Code: Select all

www.domain.com###TD[height="500"]:[height="1000"]
Which would find table cells with a height of 500 and increase it to 1000.

It wouldn't necessarily always change the element being searched for, for example:

Code: Select all

www.domain.com###TD[height="500"]:[align="center"]
would change the alignment of any 500 pixel high cells to centered.

It might also be handy to have smarter replacements (possibly using regex) to replace only PART of an attribute for example with styles (which have a lot of different settings inside).

If implemented and popular, it would be great if a UI could be developed for less HTML knowledgeable people to (un)check and edit attributes in the page and have adblock scan the page for unique attribute identifiers for blocking elements without ids or classes (without accidentally blocking other elements on the page). Also alerting the user when these rules stop working because of website design changes might be useful.

Re: Feature Request: Editing HTML elements

Post by guest »

What you are searching for is called Stylish: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... leoegfcffe
Gingerbread Man

Re: Feature Request: Editing HTML elements

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,

I haven't seen any hint that Adblock Plus might ever do something besides block and hide content (with the exception of the defunct typo correction feature).

Page modification is the domain of the aforementioned Stylish add-on, or Greasemonkey / Tampermonkey.
Nintynuts wrote:so mods please move this if necessary...
Unfortunately, feature requests go in the Bug Reports forum. I've voiced my doubts about the usefulness of that forum, but nobody cared.