embed adblock to a site

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
zeus1921

embed adblock to a site

Post by zeus1921 »

Hi

i was thinking, is it possible to add adblock to my site? i have a index stream site, and i embed other streams on it, and it have that anoying ads and X, so to make it easy to visitors, i want to add adblock directly to my site, is it possible?

(i think i shoudnt post in this sub forum, but sorry, u can move it anyway)

Thank you!
jared

Re: embed adblock to a site

Post by jared »

NO, it's not possible. Adblock Plus is an addon to web browsers, not websites.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

jared wrote:NO, it's not possible. Adblock Plus is an addon to web browsers, not websites.
To be even more specific, there are things that Javascript can do in an extension that it can't do when loaded from a website, and ABP needs to do those things; also, Javascript from your site can't change much about streams that you embed or frame, the latter because of the Same-Origin Policy.

Also, I think there might be a legal issue if you, as a site owner, provide all of your viewers with an ad-free experience for third-party content, as opposed to your viewers individually using ABP or similar measures to block the ads from their own devices, similarly to the abuse of archive.today to disseminate ad-free versions of certain blogs and news sites: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/dear-g ... g-our-shit
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
samiam

Post by samiam »

Hey I have a question about getting something like this for my website. I've got a website with a hosting service really similar situation to the guy who posted this. I'd really like to get rid of the ads from my website so that when people come they have a clean viewing experience. if anyone knows any ways of this please post!
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

samiam wrote:Hey I have a question about getting something like this for my website. I've got a website with a hosting service really similar situation to the guy who posted this. I'd really like to get rid of the ads from my website so that when people come they have a clean viewing experience. if anyone knows any ways of this please post!
The post that I made just above yours is still relevant: There is no legal way to remove the ads that a webhost (usually a free one) injects into your site; the users have to filter them out on their end, and that's what the ABP browser extension is for.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
JoVadar

Post by JoVadar »

There are indeed legal implications if you block ad's on embedded third party content on your website as opposed to watching it with them directly using adblock as there is tangible piece of code on your website they can trace this back to. Even if you were to remove it there are still ways another webmaster or savvy person can view what you had installed previously, and look at old source code.

You would be better served requesting your users to do what it is your are trying to do, and make a guide to make the user experience that bit better.