[Done] Simplifying preferences dialog

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Ok... I can imagine 1 small reason why a user would prefer the Preferences window over the Filter composer.

I usually sort all my filters in certain ordered categories right after I create a filter. For advanced users who already know the filter options, this could create some extra troublesome steps.

Though, personally it wouldn't bother me if you locked it to the Filter composer. I already manually open the preferences window to sort Element hiding rules after I composed one.
So this reason is very small and not really important...
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Ok, Preferences dialog has been simplified in the current development build. Also, the preference is gone - "Adblock image" will always open the filter composer now.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

@Wladimir:
I noticed in the new filter composer that "$object-subrequest" is an optional switch.

Do you think it would be a better idea for now to make that "$other,object-subrequest" for users of anything that is not Firefox 3 as "object-subrequest" does not work on anything except Fx3. Fx2 still uses "$other" (Seamonkey too?)
Adblock Plus Fan

I think we should just drop firefox 2 support :P
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Adblock Plus Fan wrote:I think we should just drop firefox 2 support :P
Well, THAT certainly would fix the problem ... but that ain't gonna happen. There will always be those "I don't like 3, so I went back to 2" .... or "having trouble with 3, so went back to 2" ... or "I'll wait until bugs in 3 are fixed before I decide...."

...OR:
"running Windows 98 and can't use 3" (believe it or not)
Adblock Plus Fan

Well, I just briefly tested the latest dev build on Firefox 2 and it seems to have the original Other filter option in place of the newer options for Firefox 3.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Oh, I see now. I missed the "other" checkbox ... think I was scrolled down too far. The options are not "browser-specific" because "other" is an option on my Fx3 ... on Fx3, it will do NOTHING!

Those really should be combined per my first post. They are basically the same option depending on the Fx version. ABP will use the correct interpretation per Fx version and just ignore the other.
Wladimir Palant

I guess you will have to combine $object-subrequest with $other for now - but in a few months Firefox 2 will become too unimportant to make an extra effort for it. Firefox 3 is really a lot better than Firefox 2.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:I guess you will have to combine $object-subrequest with $other for now - but in a few months Firefox 2 will become too unimportant to make an extra effort for it. Firefox 3 is really a lot better than Firefox 2.
You are right of course, Wladimir. But you know that there are always plenty of "holdouts" on upgrading ... for one reason or another. I'm sure that "$other" can be removed with time .........
rick752

Post by rick752 »

addition to above:

Does Seamonkey recognize $object-subrequest yet?
Wladimir Palant

Rick, we now have statistics at https://addons.mozilla.org/statistics/addon/1865 - so we don't need to care about ten people who are very vocal in their "I don't like Firefox 3" as long as 95% of all users already switched (right now it is 42%).
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Rick, we now have statistics at https://addons.mozilla.org/statistics/addon/1865 - so we don't need to care about ten people who are very vocal in their "I don't like Firefox 3" as long as 95% of all users already switched (right now it is 42%).
OK Wladimir:
It's your call. I have no problem with it because I usually hand-edit my filtering anyway. I was just thinking about version compatibility between filter strings. Thinking more about it, most 'average' users would not even use those options anyways as they won't know what they mean, so I guess its not a problem. I, on the other hand, will have to continue write options that way pretty much until FX2 is 'extinct'.