New Feature: Show Adblock has run (enable detection by JS)

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
smurf

New Feature: Show Adblock has run (enable detection by JS)

Post by smurf »

Hi
Please implement a method to show that Adblock has run, e.g.

Code: Select all

window.ADBLOCK_PLUS = true;
This will enable websites to detect if Adblock has run, and choose what to do.

Why. Our website is ad-supported, and some of our resources are expensive and we have a limited amount per day.

So, we wish to keep them for ad-viewers who help support the site.

Hence a way to detect adblock would be great

I have seem some methods like

if ( jQuery( '#ad_id).height == 0 )...
but it would be nice to have an official way of detecting adblock

Thanks

Andrew
fanboy

Re: New Feature: Show Adblock has run (enable detection by JS)

Post by fanboy »

smurf wrote:Hi
Please implement a method to show that Adblock has run, e.g.

window.ADBLOCK_PLUS = true;
This will enable websites to detect if Adblock has run, and choose what to do.

Why. Our website is ad-supported, and some of our resources are expensive and we have a limited amount per day.

So, we wish to keep them for ad-viewers who help support the site.

Hence a way to detect adblock would be great

I have seem some methods like

if ( jQuery( '#ad_id).height == 0 )...
but it would be nice to have an official way of detecting adblock

Thanks

Andrew
Thats not a good idea, and will be open to abuse against Adblock Plus users.. Maybe design the site better without the need for offensive ads or trackers.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Wow, I thought this idiot who wanted to make ABP block nothing by default was a laugh-riot, but this post takes the cake; for a serious response, however, this behavior is what ABP did many years ago, before the developers figured out how to make its presence unable to be confirmed to Web pages, only inferred by them.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Lain_13

Post by Lain_13 »

Beside being abused this feature won't help at all. What about users which using adblock to block annoying stuff like social networks buttons? Even if they don't care about some non-intrusive ads they still may want to block stuff that annoys them. In such case adblock will set that value to true. As result that will trigger your code for no reason.

So, you actually don't want to have an official way to detect adblock. Instead of that you actually really want to check ads placeholders on your page and display there something informative and not intrusive or misleading if ads wasn't loaded. Just make sure to be nice to your visitors since it's not their fault that internet is full of awful and intrusive ads. So, the thing you actually want is to gain their trust. Displaying some informative and accurate text in place of missing ads could help to do so.

Of course that suggestion of mine won't help if you want to display few hundreds of banners and pop-in with a video-player which starts to play video right on the page open and even with sound. I actually think that developers of such sites have to pay their visitors for looking at all that stuff. -_-