[Done] Easier Disable / Enable of user filters

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Ares2

Post by Ares2 »

Wladimir Palant wrote: [*] Separate user-defined filters from subscriptions - not sure
I think Rick mentioned this before somewhere: What about just changing the name to 'My advertisement filters' or 'User created advertisement filters'. This wouldn't be hard to change but already separates them from the subscriptions to a certain extent.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

That's http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1207

Yes, changing terminology is definitely on the plan.
SlimShady

Post by SlimShady »

Wladimir Palant wrote:
  • Indicate that some filters in a subscription are disabled - efficient implementation is problematic
I was thinking: you could put the disabled filters together at the top of the list/subscription.
Below you would have all the other enabled filters of the subscription.
And sort them seperately like folders and files in Windows Explorer.
Wladimir Palant

SlimShady, sort by the "Enabled" column and you will get exactly that behavior.
Wladimir Palant

Wladimir Palant wrote:"Select all"/"deselect all" for types in filter composer - need a way to add these without wasting too much space
I would really like to have this feature. However, I see only one remaining feature on my list that requires string changes - meaning that string freeze is approaching very fast. Most likely, I'll give a build to translators Sunday evening. If nobody comes up with a good way to show these buttons in the filter composer this feature won't make the next release.

To start a discussion, some options:
  • "All" and "None" links to the right of "Apply to types" - will work fine in English but the translations will almost certainly be longer, this will waste horizontal space
  • Same but below "Apply to types", with a little indentation - better space usage but probably not very obvious
  • Checkbox that selects everything when checked and unselects everything when unchecked (what would be the label?) - would need a third state for partial selection but XUL doesn't have tri-state checkboxes
  • Buttons "Select all" and "Select none" - would need to be displayed on one row, waste of horizontal space again (especially when translated)
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I thought about a "Invert Selection" tick box but I'm not sure how this would work.

All in all I think it is ok to sacrifice a little horizontal real estate for added functionality. Especially since resolutions are on the increase and monitors are getting bigger and wider.
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Hubird wrote:I thought about a "Invert Selection" tick box but I'm not sure how this would work.
How about an "Invert All" button? That's a little bit less confusing than tickbox, and a little smaller.
smk

Re:

Post by smk »

maybe do it a bit like in e-mails?
like select some things (includes select all, select none, etc.), then an action: invert, enable, disable, etc.
With this, invert all would become: select all -> invert
Just my opinion
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Is Select all"/"deselect all" for types in filter composer going to make it into ABP 1.0 ?
Wladimir Palant

@Hubird: No, too late for that, string freeze was weeks ago.
Wladimir Palant

Select all/select none has been implemented a while ago. Let's mark this one as done now, I doubt that the remaining two points will be implemented.