Idea for possibly reducing memory usage of plugin

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Kane

Idea for possibly reducing memory usage of plugin

Post by Kane »

I have been reading in various places that Adblock Plus greatly increases the memory used by Firefox, due to the large number of rules that must be attached to each iframe (if I am partially wrong here, please excuse my error). I would be happy to browse web pages with the plugin running in a "lazy" fashion i.e. only when a page has a URL which matches a filter, does that filter get loaded permanently. The trade-off is that first-time use of "bad" URLs would be loaded/displayed, but a user could simply re-load the webpage in which case the just-added rules would cause the plugin to run "normally".

Obviously this would be an option, but one which I would be happy to try out. A list of "popular" rules URLs could form the initial "bad" list contents, with other rules being added as the user continues his/her browsing experience.
lewisje

Re: Idea for possibly reducing memory usage of plugin

Post by lewisje »

That would make the Malware Domains subscription useless.

However, the way ulock does it (pre-scanning the page to heuristically reduce the number of style rules injected) would greatly reduce memory; this is only needed for hiding filters, because blocking filters are not "attached" to frames and are processed quite efficiently already.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

see:

Inject our stylesheet on per-site basis rather than globally
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/521
Lain_13

Post by Lain_13 »

@mapx
I've noticed there are a patch-set there in the review state but nobody reviewed it for the last 3 months already even though it seems like developer asked for this a couple of times.
Do you know will it ever get checked and probably included?
mapx

Post by mapx »

Sorry, I have no idea, perhaps you could ask directly in the irc team's channel
Lain_13

Post by Lain_13 »

Wladimir told that he hasn't time to review the last patchset yet. I hope he will do so eventually since it would be great if it actually works.
However it seems like the real improvement (at least for Firefox) will came from implementation of https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/524