[Suggestion/Idea] Possible revolutionary ad-blocking idea

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
ShadowOfHarbringer

[Suggestion/Idea] Possible revolutionary ad-blocking idea

Post by ShadowOfHarbringer »

So I was thinking and I came to an idea that will be probably impossible(or extremely difficult/resource consuming) to do, but if it worked, it would be a real revolution when it comes to ad blocking.

In short: would it be possible to hide an element without the webpage's javascript noticing it ?

It would work through some kind of separation of current webpage's DOM and the "real" DOM that is avaiable to the browser & extensions. So browser code & extension could change parameters of a DOM object so that the change is invisible to the webpage we are currently browsing.

If it worked, could possibly be revolutionary because it completely obliterates any tries of detecting ad-blocking by anti-adblock scripts and breaking page functionality for users using AdBlockers. It gives complete and undisputable control back to users (same as ad-blockers did at first, but now more and more webpages have anti-adblocking Javascripts).

EDIT: As already said below, it would only work for hiding filters, not blocking filters.
Last edited by ShadowOfHarbringer on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowOfHarbringer

Re: [Suggestion/Idea] Possible revolutionary ad-blocking idea

mapx wrote:already discussed
forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27945
Well, this is different from what I am proposing. However the effects may be similar in some cases.

I am talking about separating the "Visual" and "Core" layer of rendering engine, so it is possible to make changes on the "Visual" level that are not visible to the Core/Javascript.

The guy in the other topic is suggesting sending spoofed information to the advertiser. What I am suggesting is allowing the user to decide what is displayed in his browser WITHOUT giving the website AND the advertiser any information whether it has been displayed or not.

I am putting control of what is displayed back in the hands of the user while the other suggestion is to lie to advertisers about that something is being done while it is really not. I hope this explains it enough.
mapx

Post by mapx »

What are you saying probably (how ?) would be possible only for the hiding filters.
What about the blocking filters ?
What about the video ads which could be controlled (and there are already video sites which use such techniques) on the server side ?
ShadowOfHarbringer

mapx wrote:What are you saying probably (how ?) would be possible only for the hiding filters.
Yes, that is correct.
mapx wrote:What about the blocking filters ?
What about the video ads which could be controlled (and there are already video sites which use such techniques) on the server side ?
It would not work for blocking filters.