Suggestion: Adblock for SmartTV

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Username2271

Suggestion: Adblock for SmartTV

Post by Username2271 »

Hi,

First, if such an application exists then sorry, I'm just not so up to date with the new stuff. Just tell me the name please :)

I don't know anything about coding or IT, but I sure know that all the TV ads are annoying. And I also know that Smart TV market exploded, overtook the classic TV one and will dominate very soon.

So, for all you bold developers I pitch to you this idea:

Build an app for SmartTVs that once installed will take out all the ads from whatever program you are watching on your TV. The process that I thought of is that this app will record, determine when a group of ads starts and ends, take those add groups out and then play to the viewer the program/movie clean.

Example. Let's say a nice movie will start on whatever channel at 19:00. You go to the application, you tell it that you would like to see the program that starts at 19:00, from that channel. Then, the application approximates the time that it needs to do all it's stuff so that the movie will be clean. As one hour of TV program has some 15 minutes of ads, then for a 2 hour movie it will say that the movie will start let's say at 19:35 (it added a 5 minutes buffer to the 30 minutes ads period). Ideally the application could to the processing fast so the delay between the start of the movie form the TV subscription and the one form the app is equal with the number of minutes that the ads take space. Maybe use some computers like Chromebit?

Don't ask me please how to determine which is which - the add or the movie - that is your job :) I just gave you the idea.

Or, whatever system/design for the app that you could think of to make this kind of app... So all the lousy ads directors will start doing something preferably more valuable for society than their shitty commercials.

Cheers and good luck!
Username2271
lewisje

Re: Suggestion: Adblock for SmartTV

Post by lewisje »

how wonderfully original, as if we had never thought of it before :roll:

Actually, someone from the world of third-party apps for "Media Center" devices would be able to do this for you, because it has been done before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_skipping

There's a major difference between blocking network requests and hiding HTML elements on one hand, and heuristically blocking out parts of a video stream on the other; an "Adblock for SmartTV" app would share none of the code with ABP.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.