[Suggestion] Allow an option to leave Adblock off by default

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Reconninja

[Suggestion] Allow an option to leave Adblock off by default

Post by Reconninja »

I understand that websites need ad revenue to stay afloat, and most of the time the ads they use are not intrusive, but even with the current option to allow some non-intrusive advertising Adblock blocks most ads on most pages. I would like it if there was an option to leave Adblock off (grayed out) by default, then you manually turn it on for sites you choose. That way, good websites will always earn the money they need (without users having to remember to turn off Adblock for every new site they go to), and because intrusive advertising is both annoying and uncommon it isn't hard to remember to turn on Adblock for those sites.
sofaclass

Re: [Suggestion] Allow an option to leave Adblock off by default

Post by sofaclass »

I strongly agree with Reconninja: an simple option to disable Adblock would be nice. It would encourage websites to use less intrusive advertisements as then there is less chance that the user would enable Adblock on a particular website. It would also improve people's opinion of Adblock as many people dislike it because it limits small companies revenue through adverts. Gingerbread Man's solutions would work but I think disabling Adblock and encouraging users to only enable it on websites which use intrusive adverts is better for website owners as well as Adblock's image.
Reconninja wrote:... good websites will always earn the money they need (without users having to remember to turn off Adblock for every new site they go to)...
This situation would be brilliant! :D
Fralex

Post by Fralex »

I registered just to say that I also REALLY want an easy way to turn off Adblock by default. I only got it because one or two websites I use had REALLY obnoxious ads I couldn't stand. I don't want every site I visit to suffer.

I might even go so far as to say that "always off unless told otherwise" should be the default option when you first download it, with an alternate setting to make it "always on unless told otherwise."
jthill

Post by jthill »

I think it's easy to see why only lighting adblock on sites that offend you personally enough to warrant punishment feels like it's on more solid moral ground than blocking everybody and only allowing your favored few.

I this would also turn abp into a very effective feedback mechanism. If sites can see people showing up with abp turned off, what's the bad ones' complaint now, "all those freeloaders who use adblockers . . . within seconds of visiting our site"?
jthill

Post by jthill »

From lewisje's reply I see there's multiple ways to read the request, so:

Right now you can whitelist sites and filter everyone else.

I'd like a selectable blacklist mode, where I can blacklist sites and not filter anybody else.

To keep security filters up it'd be nice to be able to specify "all but whitelisted" or "all" overrides per filter list, regardless of white/blacklist mode.

If that doesn't correct any misinterpretations then the misinterpretation's clearly mine, wouldn't be the first time . . . anyway, I hope this helps.