Add Tipping/Micropayments

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
joeld

Add Tipping/Micropayments

Post by joeld »

I am intensely curious to know whether there would be interest in extending ABP to support a scheme like this: Implementing universal micropayments on the web.

Of course it could be done as a separate browser extension. However one of the big knocks against ABP is that it undermines the only viable way for many sites to support themselves. It would be really cool to see ABP be part of promoting a culture of goodwill and supporting independent creators on the web, in addition to keeping garbage out of sight. ABP's large user base would also really help to jump-start this positive change.
mapx

Re: Add Tipping/Micropayments

Post by mapx »

Adblock Plus introduced the Acceptable Ads initiative: Support websites that rely on advertising but choose to do it in a non-intrusive way
en/acceptable-ads
joeld

Re: Add Tipping/Micropayments

Post by joeld »

Yes I'm aware of the Acceptable Ads initiative and have done some reading on it lately. I think it is helpful and I don't think it is mutually exclusive with tipping support.

Many people would rather not have ads on their sites at all, or would prefer not to rely so much on Google's algorithmic black box to support themselves. Other people could probably raise a tangible amount of support from readers that they might never be able to get from advertising at all, ever, due to their small scale.

Offering authors/publishers a non-advertising way to support themselves is a great complement to to supporting those who choose to do advertising tastefully.