Adblock for Asus Routers

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
qwerty123

Adblock for Asus Routers

Post by qwerty123 »

Recent Asus routers added a feature called Deep Packet Inspection and in a recent RMerlin build, there is an "experimental adblocker", which is "hidden" in the Asus firmware. It is possible to install applications on those routers using Entware with RMerlin, so it would be cool to be able to get Adblock Plus on those routers.

AC56/AC68/AC87/AC3200 all have Deep Packet Inspection. Not sure if it is possible to use the engine for other stuff, maybe not, but then there are other ways around... People got it to work on other routers with entware and a provoxy - a proxy server... or editing hosts file.

It would be cool to have an official version with easy-to-install instructions for everyone to use.
lewisje

Re: Adblock for Asus Routers

Post by lewisje »

At best it would be a port of ABP for Android (a proxy server without access to the browser APIs that are needed to make ABP-style filters truly effective), and we all know how well that works.

However, I believe it would be nice to have a whole new application, not related to ABP, that leverages that deep packet inspection for more sophisticated filtering, based on the contents of HTTP responses (or HTTPS for those who allow their own routers to MITM them).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.