Simple Suggestion

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
icecold960

Simple Suggestion

Post by icecold960 »

Is there a way to make ABP as a program? that way it doesn't just block adds in websites, it blocks adds everywhere. like the Steam Client, Origin Client, and other game clients/platforms?
lewisje

Re: Simple Suggestion

Post by lewisje »

That's called a "local filtering proxy" and that's actually the approach taken by ABP for Android; it doesn't work that well with ABP-style lists because local filtering proxies lack the browser API hooks that make ABP for Chrome and Firefox so effective.

The closest thing is a setup called "adblock2privoxy" if you're comfortable installing nginx (I actually tried this out and was not satisfied with the results).

Another idea would be to get a program that doesn't even rely on ABP-style lists, like Privoxy in one of the many configurations you can find on the Web, or like Ad Muncher (which technically is not a proxy but works like one, except that it only hooks into particular programs).

Below that, consider Peter Lowe's Ad Servers as a PAC file, and one of the many fine ad-blocking HOSTS files you can find on the Internet; both of them will work with any program on your computer that accesses the network.

Below that, there are also router-based solutions, if your router runs, or can be flashed with, Tomato or DD-WRT, and the only innovation there is dnsmasq (basically HOSTS files on steroids).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.