Suggestion: Block display of ad, not collection

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
T_I

Suggestion: Block display of ad, not collection

Post by T_I »

When I browse I get more and more sites that detect usage of adblock and replacing add with 'you're using adblock, which denies us revenue.

To be honest, I now block the complete object, but would it be an idea to have the internal proxy just collect the ad (giving them revenue) and replace it with an empty image (or icon 'click here to see ad'). I don't mind collecting the ad (or at least trigger the counter) when I'm on wifi with phone, but I don't want to see the ad. Ads are for stuff I don't need (or else I would already have it) or already have.

When people watch TV they usually zap away during the commercial break (which resulted in synchonized commercial breaks on all commercial channels overhere) or use the break for useful stuff. THere the sellers of the ad space get paid no matter if people see the ads or not. BTW we now quit watching TV all to gether, to much crap, some commercials were better then most TV shows)

Having the same behaviour on the internet would be great. Would hate to have to quit internet, after 21 years, just because the ads are to intrusive.
T_I

Re: Suggestion: Block display of ad, not collection

Post by T_I »

Ok, then it's to bad. Those sites that rely solely on the ads will disappear soon enough. (solves the problem of ads in another way)
Internet forums were community driven, they should stay that way.
mapx

Re: Suggestion: Block display of ad, not collection

Post by mapx »

Well, there is still the possibility of acceptable ads
acceptable-ads

or ...of donation