[Done] Notify the maintainer of the filter

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Tom

Re: [Roadmap] Notify the maintainer of the filter

Post by Tom »

I know it's subjective but it hurts looking at the progress meter at the top of the report boxes. Can you at least replace those vertical separators '>' with '|' please :)
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

At the moment they kind of look like arrows, I have no problem with it. Some colour in the ticks wouldn't hurt though :wink:
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Hubird: Color is always a problem if things are supposed to work with any browser theme that the user might install...

@all: Is the progress indicator better this way?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Yes, thank you :)
Tom

Post by Tom »

Maybe even adding closing bars as well, just an idea. Looks good now anyway.
Wladimir Palant

Tom, I know that you like it better that way - I am mostly interested in what other people think.
alberto

Post by alberto »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Note that the white area in the screenshot is a frame showing server response, the server can potentially give out more information and additional links.
Will this support multiple languages? Presumably this will need translations on the sever-side (as opposed to the extension)?
Wladimir Palant

Yes, this will need server-side translations. I think about adding a special page to Anwiki where these texts can be translated. It will be fewer languages than what we have in the extension but should be good enough.
alberto

Post by alberto »

Then it would make sense to provide an overall status in the extension itself (e.g. report submitted successfully, failed to submit report, etc). This will be translated in all languages and will ensure the user at least understands if the operation succeeded or not (even in the server response is not translated in that language). You probably have covered this, but it is not apparent from the screenshots published.

My 2 cents to the (controversial?) progress meter UI design :-)
I think that having some kind of arrow (>) shape and step numbers help giving the sense of direction and sequence. I'd rather have colored boxes than ticks to indicate completed steps. For example: http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/na ... gress.html
Wladimir Palant

Ok, another attempt:
As I said, using colors is problematic because I have no idea what weird browser theme the user might install.
alberto

Post by alberto »

I like this one. I think it will look better if the 'Send Report' box has the arrow (>) shape too on the right side.
Wladimir Palant

No problem:
Wladimir Palant

This feature just landed: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/003e2ed2acea (will be part of 1.3a.20100925 development build).

And here is a working report link: https://reports.adblockplus.org/2bd4635 ... 634f4c1369
That's almost all data from the report - the only thing not processed/displayed yet is frame structure.

This not complete yet, all the special cases still need to be handled and notifications for subscription authors need do be set up (along with a way to change a status message in the report), not to mention a privacy policy - but we are getting there.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I also prefer the current box style; however, I would suggest that the section names should be central in the boxes, even if there is no tick to mark the section as complete.
Wladimir Palant

@Michael: They are central - if you don't count the space occupied by the tick. The problem is, there isn't much space there and I am actually pretty worried about translations. So I am not very keen on wasting space...