Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

[Done] Preferences: Allow dragging multiple filters

Post by Wladimir Palant »

From bug 20528:
Currently, selecting more than one filter and attempting to move them (by drag
and drop) results in only one filter being moved. Please consider changing
this, so all selected filters would be moved. I believe such a change would
substantially reduce the time it takes me to rearrange my filters.
Given that the drag&drop code is much too complicated already this isn't very high on my list - still nice to have however.
Lyx

Post by Lyx »

If it means a lot of additional code, then i'd say "no" (ABP is already more heavy than i'm comfortable with). If it is "another drop, on an already full barrel", then i'd say "yes", because for filter authors, this IMO is a high-gain feature.

Explanation:
I maintain my own filterset customized to my needs. A typical workflow is: When i notice that an ad went through, i first use the automated way to add a new filter. I do that a few times. Then after a while, i go into the prefs, and sort the new filters. But since i can only move one item at a time, this is a really repetitive task.

More indepth explanation:
Since AFAIK, ABP does not allow to organize filters into custom "groups", i faked that feature, by i.e. adding filters like "---popups---", and i then manually order the filters so that the list appears to have groups (when actually, it doesn't). So, when i automatically create a new filter, i always have to later manually move it into the matching fake-group.

From that POV, one could argue that i am here asking for a "hack" to compensate sideeffects of another "hack". In other words: If ABP actually had custom groups for filters, and if when creating a new filter, you could say to which group that filter should be added, then the feature proposed in this thread wouldn't be needed for my purposes.
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Lyx wrote:If ABP actually had custom groups for filters
This could be nice too, I'd be perfectly fine with either solution though.
Lyx wrote:i faked that feature, by i.e. adding filters like "---popups---"
I do the same thing as you, but I use "!---popups---" instead. (In case you don't know) Having the exclamation mark added turns the filter into a comment and this way you can categorize element hiding rules too. Currently I have 16 groups separated by comments and almost 400 blocking filters.
Lyx wrote:for filter authors
At that point it's much easier to edit the text file from an external editor. I mean...can you imagine moving 5 filters up/down through the Easylist? :?
That's a pain I'd spare anyone.
Lyx

Post by Lyx »

Thanks for the hint regarding filter-comments. I didnt know that yet :)
Wladimir Palant

Re: [Roadmap] Preferences: Allow dragging multiple filters

Added to Adblock Plus 1.4 roadmap, tentatively - this could be fixed along with other preferences dialog changes.
Pillow

Re: [Roadmap] Preferences: Allow dragging multiple filters

Post by Pillow »

I would like to add a "+1" for this idea.

I currently have to load up a text editor to edit the filters when more than one or two need to be moved.

Additionally, a cut-paste that could do this would be great. Then you wouldn't have to drag them through hundreds of filters.
Wladimir Palant

Re: [Done] Preferences: Allow dragging multiple filters

This is now working in the development builds.