Get advertisers to pay for blocking their ads

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
prunesquallor

Get advertisers to pay for blocking their ads

Post by prunesquallor »

Hello

I detest advertising so much that I routinely refuse to buy a product if I have seen it advertised. Especially, if I first came across the product or brand through an advertisement.

I am sure that I cannot be alone in this sentiment!

Therefore, it is in the advertisers' interest to ensure that their name is not shown to people who have actively chosen to withdraw from seeing advertisements, and if their name is forced upon these people then the advertisers will loose sales.

Some sites ask for ad blockers to be disabled. Sometimes I do this, but if I then see an advertisement, then the business posting it will be permanently blacklisted from my personal and business list of possible suppliers.

People who install blockers hate advertisements and, by implication, hate their pedlars, and will hate the product or service adverised. Can this be presented to the on-line advertisers, that a non-blocked advertisement is actually a negative to their business, and is better blocked than shown. Therefore, if an advertisement is blocked, give the site, say, 10% of the revenue had it been displayed.

Just an idea...

Irma
lewisje

Re: Get advertisers to pay for blocking their ads

Post by lewisje »

I don't know where that money would come from or how Eyeo could reliably determine what the ad revenue would have been.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.