Suggesting new and better way to "block" ads

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
ieaarva

Suggesting new and better way to "block" ads

Post by ieaarva »

This may be something you have thought of, or even done already, but since I haven't seen it I take the chance anyway.

WHen you block ads, many sites refuse to show the contents of a page. They require you to deactivate ad blocking first. To get around this and still not display the ads, I was thinking that what if you made a function that would let the advertisers think that the ad is displayed, when in fact it is not? You could allow the add to get through but overwrite that part of the screen with a generic graphic or grey field or something.

Just a thought ;-)

Brgds
Iver in Oslo, Norway
lewisje

Re: Suggesting new and better way to "block" ads

Post by lewisje »

We do try to whitelist the dummy files and dummy HTML elements that sites often use to check whether an adblocker is active, but it is unethical to try to make the advertiser think the ad was loaded when it was not (view-fraud).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Ikester

Post by Ikester »

I'm not sure I understand the distinction between blocking an ad so it can't be viewed and accepting it but then blocking it from being viewed. Isn't that the intent of this extension? Kinda like getting flyers in my post office box and then tossing them in the bin. Am I committing viewer fraud by doing that?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

People who send junk mail aren't paid per successful delivery.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.