Suggestion: Omitting Google search results

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Reciprocity

Suggestion: Omitting Google search results

Post by Reciprocity »

I'll admit it straight away. I'm the kinda guy that will slow down if you tell me to run. Now you understand my motivation...

I've been finding increasingly more sites detecting ABP and "refusing" to give access until ABP is disabled. Now I'm not going to try find devious ways to circumvent this shit. I just stop using their sites altogether - no exceptions. Circumventing their actions is simply making the next move in an evenly matched chess game that WILL end in a remis.
Basically I want to go activist boycutter on them, and force them to reevaluate their actions by decreasing their overall traffic.

One of the ways I propose to do this, is to somehow eliminate these sites from appearing in google search results (I've also petitioned Google about this option, but don't expect any sort of results from their side). This should obviously be optional, since a lot of ABP users will still just want to circumvent the adblock killers in the never-ending AdWar.
I do however suggest that it should be a default option that these people should then disable themselves.

Additionally, in the future, a way to completely remove links or newsfeed-like ("stories like this" etc.) references to these sites from whatever website you're currently visiting would be optimal, but I guess that might be even more difficult than SOMEHOW manipulating Google which - let's face it - is a ginormous task already afaiu.

- Any feedback is accepted (even the "lol ur stupit" kind) as long as you can explain yourself properly - i.e. I want something constructive to come out of this, even if my suggestion isn't necessarily implemented.
- In the immortal words of Rob Schneider "You can do it!"
lewisje

Re: Suggestion: Omitting Google search results

Post by lewisje »

That sounds like a job for another extension, maintaining a database of domains known to engage in anti-Adblocking techniques and then injecting a script into search-engine results pages to remove results linking those domains.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.