bild.de blocked due to adblock plus

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
azr

bild.de blocked due to adblock plus

Post by azr »

Hi all!

Several webpages will start to block the user using adblock plus - like bild.de does right now.

Please add a stealth mode, so the webpage can not check for this adblocker - is this possible?

Greetings, Z.
mapx

Re: bild.de blocked due to adblock plus

Post by mapx »

no, it's not possible.
They can't detect directly the adblockers but can check if some elements were displayed on the page.
For bild.de see the subforum for the filters.
Riko

Post by Riko »

mapx wrote:no, it's not possible.
They can't detect directly the adblockers but can check if some elements were displayed on the page.
For bild.de see the subforum for the filters.
I don't understand, what is purpose of ABP if web sites are able with small piece of the code to force visitors to disable ABP? I mean, that is "choice" like "if you don't like our web site, you are free to not visit"? So if web sites are able to block users with ABP, than no use of ABP. If Bild blocked ABP, than others will do the same for few days, especially those very aggressive web sites.
mapx

Post by mapx »

As you can see (in other threads, also in the bild.de thread) their tricks can be defeated by other filters.
Riko

Post by Riko »

mapx wrote:As you can see (in other threads, also in the bild.de thread) their tricks can be defeated by other filters.
You should tell that to my 73 years old grandmother beside Bild is just one of the many. So partial code is not solution, with that, those sites like Bild, they are not just forcing users to visit theirs web sites with ABP disable, but they actualy forcing users to delete ABP from theirs PC's, because Bild is very popular in Germany, and if people cannot visit popular web sites with ABP, they will delete ABP in minutes, because not 1% of them will try to found solution on this forum, but most of them will delete totaly ABP. You guys from ABP support know exact number of the users with ABP, but I am sure that not 1% of them visit this forum. So when Bild and web sites like them block users with ABP, next thing what those users do is deleting ABP from theirs PC's or they are not visiting theirs favorite web sites. So if most of ABP users are not visiting those web sites who blocked them because of ABP, than web sites like Bild will not block them at all.
mapx

Post by mapx »

If you are in trouble, you'll disable ABP for that site waiting for an updating of the lists (germany list in your case).
You have to understand there is no other possibility. And the users won't delete ABP because all other sites will be full of ads and the navigation a hell.
Riko

Post by Riko »

mapx wrote:If you are in trouble, you'll disable ABP for that site waiting for an updating of the lists (germany list in your case).
You have to understand there is no other possibility. And the users won't delete ABP because all other sites will be full of ads and the navigation a hell.
OK, if you think that most of the ABP users will disable ABP and visit those sites which blocked them, OK, but Bild is not only site who block ABP users, plus it exist Java Scripts and JQuery codes (I don't know how old or relevant they are) to block ABP users on web sites, beside, people don't like any plugin in theirs browsers, not just because they are slowing down load of web sites in theirs browsers but also because of the safety issue. So if you think that someone will keep ABP even if don't do what is suppose to do, OK, but I know many people who will not. I am one of them. Usually people use ABP because they have few web sites who are too agressive with ads, so those who are too agressive with ads, those kind of the web sites will block ABP users, so if ABP don't do what it is supposed to do on that web sites, than users don't need ABP at all. Why they need ABP on web sites with small number of the ads? Why they need ABP if it will not block those web sites with agressive ads? To slow down theirs browsers?