Blocking The Blocker Blockers

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Mad_As_Hail!

Blocking The Blocker Blockers

Post by Mad_As_Hail! »

Seems the anti-blocker blocking wars are heating up. Yahoo, one of the very worst on the web for ads and user offensiveness is now trying to block access, not just tossing up a notice. The gloves need to come off to stop them.

I rarely use them due to the plethora of ads shoved in your face on every screen. Their stock is all over the place lately as well as stories of their business deals. They have pretty much ceased to exist as a search engine and I'm really not sure what their focus is other than to rake in ad dollars. But I have a couple of email addresses there that they are now threatening to block access to for conscientious browsers concerned about their device security. I guess I'll have to move those email addresses somewhere else.

But this may only be the opening salvo as pursuit of the almighty dollar overwhelms common sense and decency.

So, despite what's been said on other threads asking more or less the same question, how can AdBlock block the blocker blockers? I know the answer was no. I've read the other threads, but there really needs to be a stealth mode that blocks ads without the host site knowing it's happening. I don't know how ABP works and I don't know how sites sniff it out, but the war needs to be ramped up another notch.
lewisje

Re: Blocking The Blocker Blockers

Post by lewisje »

Sites don't directly detect the presence of ABP or similar blockers, they detect whether content was blocked or hidden; if there were a general way to keep anti-adblocker techniques from working, they would have been found by now, and opening another thread won't make a solution magically appear.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.