Adblock suggestion

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
headshopz

Adblock suggestion

Post by headshopz »

I apologize in advance if this has already been suggested: Is there any way you could make use of adblock undetectable by the websites you visit? Basically their website thinks that you saw the ad, even if you didn't? Like... route it into the nether or something... lol :twisted:
mapx

Re: Adblock suggestion

Post by mapx »

lewisje

Re: Adblock suggestion

Post by lewisje »

The closest thing that any blocker can ethically do is build up a dummy API that would normally be exported by a script that has been blocked, so that other scripts relying on that API don't break, and if they test for the non-existence of some variable to conclude that an adblocker was used, that test passes; NoScript long allowed this with user-contributable surrogate scripts, and ever since version 1.4.0, uBlock Origin has allowed it with a hard-coded redirection library (which also includes dummy images and other resources): https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.4.0

I linked to that specific release page because the wiki doesn't have documentation on it yet; it is an interesting extension to the ABP syntax and infrastructure that ABP itself might want to use, but a potential issue would be how closely Eyeo could work with Raymond Hill on synchronizing the redirection libraries.

It's unethical to fool an advertiser into thinking that an ad was displayed when it wasn't; this is known as view-fraud.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.