[Done] Post-install page improvements (was: Some feedback..)

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Michael

Re: [Done] Post-install page improvements (was: Some feedback..)

Post by Michael »

The wording has already been altered slightly (forum/viewtopic.php?t=5102):
Subscription Selection wrote:Adblock Plus will be most effective if you add a filter subscription.
Filter subscriptions are provided by other Adblock Plus users free of
charge. The most suitable subscription for your language is already
selected.
Personally, I think that using larger text would be unprofessional as it would give the appearance of shouting.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Michael wrote:Personally, I think that using larger text would be unprofessional as it would give the appearance of shouting.
I fully agree.

And the point of the changes here was exactly to show users the "right" choice immediately - most users couldn't care less which subscription to use, presenting them with a selection is simply confusing.
xkiller213

Post by xkiller213 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:
Michael wrote:Personally, I think that using larger text would be unprofessional as it would give the appearance of shouting.
And the point of the changes here was exactly to show users the "right" choice immediately - most users couldn't care less which subscription to use, presenting them with a selection is simply confusing.
hmmm... quite true about the larger text, but i still think presenting them a selection would be better than giving them a choice...

but i think the default font size for the post install page is a bit small for emphasizing your point about lists... (probably take a few tips from Firefox's first run page?)

as you have said, to show the right choice, but i don't think they would want that choice... you present them a good choice and let them see if they want that choice... most people would go for what you recommend, as it's recommended by the creator...
xkiller213

Post by xkiller213 »

the problem is that different people require different subscriptions.. and people might complain that this addon dl stuff that they do not know of...

but this would fit what most novice users would want...

Edit by mod: Removed post before this one that suggested auto subscribing people to a sub.. reason is it spammed in it's signature to a know malware hosting site. Sorry for the trouble.
Last edited by IceDogg on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clearance as why this post seems out of place now.