[Done] Post-install page improvements (was: Some feedback..)

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: [Done] Post-install page improvements (was: Some feedback..)

Post by MonztA »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@MonztA: What about the other German lists? What is the general.useragent.locale preference set to for you?
All other German lists are bold. It happens only in the drop-down list. It is all fine in the large list.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

MonztA wrote:It happens only in the drop-down list. It is all fine in the large list.
That was the missing piece. Fixed: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/99cb4b884520
Michael

Post by Michael »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Michael, what if you open chrome://adblockplus/content/ui/subscriptionSelection.xul in the browser directly?
The page loads without any problems and I am able to add subscriptions without error. The only interesting element is that none of the suggestions from "Add a different subscription" are in bold.
Wladimir Palant

Michael wrote:The only interesting element is that none of the suggestions from "Add a different subscription" are in bold.
I figured out that one at least - Fedora's build sets intl.locale.matchOS preference instead of using general.useragent.locale for locale selection. Consequently, Adblock Plus cannot determine selected locale correctly. Fixed: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/85a5296988b8
Michael

Post by Michael »

I tried using "Add a filter subscription..." again using the latest development build and the window still didn't load for me. When I visited chrome://adblockplus/content/ui/subscriptionSelection.xul and found that, while the correct subscriptions were in bold, my processor was running at 100% all the time that I was on the page.
Wladimir Palant

Michael, this issue should be fixed in the next development build, turned out it was a general issue on Linux (yes, I am lazy when it comes to firing up a VM).
https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/3fb1ef822547
Michael

Post by Michael »

I can confirm that the issue has been resolved in the development release 1.1.3+.2010011602. Thanks for all your work on this.
xkiller213

Post by xkiller213 »

hmmm... actually i think the main problem is that there is too much text on the post install page... might want to try to use more pages with much less words than 1 page with a huge para... most people don't usually read post install pages... they expect it to be 0 config install-and-forget...

1 suggestion:
1st page: Thank you for installing ABP. Please follow this wizard to complete installation. Next
2nd page: Choose a filter subscription. This would enable most ads to be blocked. (You can have all your standard options here). Next
3rd page: Thank you for setting up ABP. If there are any problems or any bugs you can report them at adblockplus.org. Close wizard.
xkiller213

Post by xkiller213 »

(sry cant edit that previous post)

Might want to take some design tips from Apple's iPhone... Big text, easy to see buttons.

Probably it can also be something like firefox's download page, but the green button is the one with the text Next...
Wladimir Palant

xkiller213, are you looking at the current development build? If not, I suggest you install it from devbuilds/adblockplus/
xkiller213

Post by xkiller213 »

hmmm... actually not... i was following the screenshots on this page: forum/viewtopic.php?p=31279#p31279

actually what i'm referring to is the post install page, the one with the 2 long lines of text...

btw tried it out... is this what i'm supposed to see:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7794 ... 4atpm1.png

Replaced large image by a link (Wladimir Palant)
Wladimir Palant

Yes, this is what you should get (text indentation is off, probably some difference in OS X browser theme). Note that people usually only need to make one mouse click - turning this into a wizard would increase the effort significantly for now good reason.
xkiller213

Post by xkiller213 »

actually what i was trying to say is that the current (new) post install page is still not very visually appealing... so ppl may think it's a changelog and ignore it...
Wladimir Palant

Well, the new version of that page makes it harder to ignore it. Otherwise: suggestions (mockups? patches?) welcome. I don't see how the page can be made to look more important and even less like a changelog/survey.
xkiller213

Post by xkiller213 »

Hmmm... I'm not much of a designer, but a few tips... Might want to use bigger text for the first line...

Probably changing the first line to something like "Add a fiter list to adblock plus for automatic ad-blocking!"... That line should be sized 18pts bold...

Then below that put "Suggest a list:" 
Below that can be 1 or 2 list suggestions... Probably you can use yr existing feature where u bold a list depending on location...

Upon clicking the list name the person would automatically subscribe to that list. 

Below that you can put "Add other list..." which would bring you to the page on this website which lists all the possible lists.