Suggestion:bypass adblock detect and mute ads

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
hox

Suggestion:bypass adblock detect and mute ads

Post by hox »

Is it possible to write some routine (New adblock mode: off on page, but detect playing and mute ads sound),
to be not detected as adblock, but to mute volume while ad is playing. I'm doing it manually so far, but would be nice to be automatical.
Like page asks you to switch off adblock to be able to play video, but I would love to mute those f-ing ads :)
lewisje

Re: Suggestion:bypass adblock detect and mute ads

Post by lewisje »

First, ABP is detected by inference, by code on the page detecting that something failed to load or that something was hidden that shouldn't be; it does not and cannot detect ABP or any other adblocker directly.

Second, it is beyond the scope of ABP to mute audio on the page, but if it weren't, I could imagine a new filter option that allows the content to load but not play.

Anyway, it's probably better to tell us what site(s) you have this sort of problem with, so we can develop case-by-case solutions, because there is no general solution.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
hox

Post by hox »

specifically I'm talking about local tv play site, it's not worth yr time :) But this occurs mostly on pages like this.. TV channels's video archives etc, they have better ads handling in general.. I understand them, but 5 blocks of ads (2-3 in one row) during 40min political debate is like... ... hungry much? :shock: :shock:
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Just post it and wait for one of us to maybe figure it out, rather than presuming that, having already described your problem, any attempt by us to reproduce and solve it must be a waste of our time.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.