Suggestion: Add "Add Exception" to Adblock Plus

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
iamunknown2

Suggestion: Add "Add Exception" to Adblock Plus

Post by iamunknown2 »

In the GUI, there is only an option for exempting the whole site from being subject to Adblock Plus'... wrath :P

However, the average Joe (which doesn't know how to add exceptions for certain elements) wouldn't be able to foil a simple anti-Adblock scheme like this (scheme made by myself):

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
	<head>
		<title>Block</title>
		<style>
			#ADInterest
			{
				width: 100%;
				height: 100%;
				background-color: white;
			}

body
			{
				background-image: url(insert img with anti-adblock message);
				background-size: 100%;
				background-repeat: no-repeat;
			}
		</style>
	<body>
		<div id="ADInterest">
			Lorem ipsem...
		</div>
	</body>
</html>
The above system works, because Adblock Plus would hide the div with the ID of "ADInterest". Since the whole div is hidden, it would hide the content as well!

Could someone add a GUI in the Adblock Plus pop-up which would un-hide/reloading everything hidden previously by Adblock Plus (presumably through disabling temporarily and reloading), before showing a WYSIWYG editor which would allow you to select elements to delete one by one?
lewisje

Re: Suggestion: Add "Add Exception" to Adblock Plus

Post by lewisje »

I know there are already a couple of options that fit here ($elemhide and $generichide), but I thought the $document option (which is used when whitelisting a page) would also keep element-hiding from working.

There are also element-hiding whitelist rules, so if there's a rule like example.com###ADInterest then it can be cancelled with the whitelist rule example.com#@##ADInterest and all of these can be auto-generated.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.