Adblock Plus steath mode

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Ikester

Adblock Plus steath mode

Post by Ikester »

An increasing number of web sites are preventing use of ad blocking so I'm wondering if the ad-blocker could go into some sort of stealth mode to avoid detection. In other words is it possible to allow the ad script to run but prevent the ad video and sound from being presented?

No doubt it's beyond the scope of the current code but how difficult would it be? Impossible? Possible but huge effort? Possible but needs some time?

I think there's no doubt that such an enhancement would be hugely popular. ;)

Cheers!
lewisje

Re: Adblock Plus steath mode

Post by lewisje »

It's impossible to programmatically determine what can be allowed through in order to defeat anti-adblocking techniques, and some techniques do not rely on special anti-adblock sentinel scripts failing to load; I don't think you're even the first person this week to ask about a "stealth mode" under the assumption that it's possible.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Ikester

Post by Ikester »

OK Thanks for your reply. I did search for a similar question but didn't find anything so decided to post even though I knew the answer was most likely as you described. Oh well, had to ask eh. :)
romeotango

Post by romeotango »

I'm not a programmer, but I had a thought about this. Would it be possible to "redirect" ads to some kind of hidden tab or location ? Ad content would be received and sent to this hidden space, but not displayed (unless the user wanted to see the ads). I'm sure that this is not possible, but thought I'd contribute it on the slim chance that it might be helpful. :D
romeotango

Post by romeotango »

Thanks. :oops: