Websites trying to block ABP--

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
KCCoff

Websites trying to block ABP--

Post by KCCoff »

I'm very non-tech, and this post may be in the wrong place, but I couldn't find anything about this and the problem seems to be on the increase.

ABP asked to list the following information:

Version: 1.11
Browser: Chrome 50.0.2661.102 m
OpSys: Windows 8.1

I first discovered this issue on Forbes.com:

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/

They pick up that there's an ad-blocker installed and prevent accessing the site unless and until any ad-blockers are disabled.

In the last week I've run across a couple of other sites that also have this more sophisticated "filter." (The Free Dictionary, for example, has suddenly developed a banner on the top saying something like "Please turn off your ad blocker." It's not as obtrusive as Forbes' is, but nonetheless, it's there, blocking a small portion of the top of the page.)

Has Ad-Blocker Plus developed a way to "mask" the adblocker programming / code (I know very little about IT!) so these sites can't pick up that ABP is in place?

Otherwise, clearly, more and more websites - especially the super-heavily ad-intensive ones - will be installing this same filter. Small, static, unobtrusive ads are one thing, but the horrid cheap'n'nasty ones with gross photos, or that "jitter," or that move around the page are beyond annoying. And what I foresee is that these block-the-blocker website add-ons will open the door to every advertiser out there willing to put up the cash.

Can anyone explain to me how this happens? Is there something I can do to prevent websites from "reading" that I've installed ABP?
mapx

Re: Websites trying to block ABP--

Post by mapx »

1. Could be ABP invisible to sites ? see: forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42628

2. for forbes:
forum/viewtopic.php?p=151901#p151901

3. for other sites provide the links, explain how to reproduce the issue, here or directly to easylist forums: http://forums.lanik.us/
KCCoff

Post by KCCoff »

Hi -

Sorry I'm not tech enough to know what to do next.

I clicked on the "forums.lanik.uk" link you posted. It seems to have a lot of topics / posts but I haven't a clue what I should do there.

Another website that has a "Please turn off the ad-blocker" message:

Code: Select all

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/
ABP is not invisible to these sites: quite the contrary. The site filters pick up that there's an ad-blocker in place and keep the visitor from entering the website unless s/he turns the ad-blocker off. (Forbes is the worst example I've seen of this; when I run into these things, I generally exit the site, so I don't have any other links except Forbes and The Free Dictionary - sorry!) So I would say your first supposition - Could ABP be invisible - is erroneous.

I will look at the Forbes topic link you sent. No offense, I don't hold out much hope that I will understand it.

And as I said, the third link you sent is, unfortunately, Greek to me.
mapx

Post by mapx »

That thread explains no site is able to detect ABP or other adblocker. The "detection" is indirect exactly how is explained in that thread.

For forbes, just add those filters in your custom filters.

The link for easylist forum: it's the place where you can report ads / popups / anti adbloking stuff. Then the volunteers there (or here) will indicate filters to add in your adblocker or will add those filters to the official lists.
mapx

Post by mapx »

For thefreedictionary add this filter

@@||thefreedictionary.com^$script
Egtverchi

Post by Egtverchi »

USA Today has just started doing the same thing as Forbes:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/08/11/airlines-complex-aging-systems-lead-to-flight-delaying-computer-glitches/88539190/?csp=tech
They pulled this a few days ago, but I could click on a button to close that pop-up. Today - no button for that, but a button to whitelist USA Today and allow all their ads through. The ABP icon shows 16 ads having been blocked, so I'm really not eager to unblock them.

I'm using OS X 10.11.6, Safari 9.1.2. A set of filters would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Egtverchi on Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.