New times need probably new orientation

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
jatpok

New times need probably new orientation

Post by jatpok »

More and more news media spare no effort to force users to turn off adblockers. They reduce services or ask for money for sending them less annoying ads.

I specially see a problem, that website carrier are able to read, which add-ons installed and even more are able to question them. I wish a adblocker, which works in the background without any notificaions to the carrier. If there is no other way, I would suggest a local proxi server, which accepts all their advertisement blockbusters, but does not send them on to the the browser, so carriers cannot know about if an adblocker is activated or not.
lewisje

Re: New times need probably new orientation

Post by lewisje »

A common misconception is that websites are able to just read what browser extensions you have; what most anti-adblock measures actually do is detect whether certain content was loaded or certain parts of the page were hidden, and then it can infer that most likely you are using an ad-blocker. We do develop case-specific workarounds, but there is no general solution.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
darkrats

Re: New times need probably new orientation

Post by darkrats »

How do they know what elements have been loaded at the users browser. Seems to me that when you click on a link, data that makes up the entire page is sent to the user. If it's blocked at the user's browser, I still can't understand how the website creators know about it. As far as I know, my browser doesn't immediately send information about content back to it's source. Is it done via "cookies"? Will blocking "cookies" from a website stop them from knowing (if this is the case)?