Ad Block Proxy

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
lordloh

Ad Block Proxy

Post by lordloh »

A lot of site these days are detecting adblock plus and hiding the content. Ad block killer killer scripts that could neutralize these scripts are not working either (example: https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer). How would turning adblock plus into a proxy to block ads be? (like it is on android). I agree that it is a bit more inconvenience than a simple extension installation, but it seems that those days are gone and ad block plus needs to get ahead before it becomes redundant.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Ad Block Proxy

Post by greiner »

Note that what those scripts are trying to detect problems with the ads. However, they don't know whether or not you're using an ad blocker and they also don't know which one.

Generally, if we were running on the network layer we'd have less capabilities than what we have now by running inside the browser. Therefore proxy solutions usually have some flaws in regards to security, privacy, blocking quality, etc. when comparing them to those that are integrated into the browser (e.g. extensions).
lewisje

Re: Ad Block Proxy

Post by lewisje »

greiner wrote:Generally, if we were running on the network layer we'd have less capabilities than what we have now by running inside the browser. Therefore proxy solutions usually have some flaws in regards to security, privacy, blocking quality, etc. when comparing them to those that are integrated into the browser (e.g. extensions).
This is also why ABP for Android provided a seriously inferior blocking experience on those Android versions where it worked (it's a proxy).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.