[Suggestion] Disable adblock for a youtube channel

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
JeanGerard

[Suggestion] Disable adblock for a youtube channel

Post by JeanGerard »

Hi !

It could be great if we could disable Ad Block on the videos of specifics channels, to support our favourite youtubers !

Bye!
smed79

Re: [Suggestion] Disable adblock for a youtube channel

Post by smed79 »

Hi,
Gingerbread Man wrote:Due to technical reasons, it's not currently possible with Adblock Plus alone, but you can do it with a user script (discussed _here_).
You can do it with a user script (read the instructions) https://greasyfork.org/scripts/4168-you ... block-plus
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I know AdBlock for Chrome had this ability before it switched to the ABP engine; it was a hack that reloaded the page with a dummy entry in the query string, whenever it detected a video or channel page, just so that an ABP-style exception rule could target channel names, and back when I still used AdBlock, and I found that this option was why every YouTube page was reloading, I made sure to warn everyone whenever this notion was brought up.

It looks like this is what the UserScript does, except it uses more modern Web technology (replaceState and MutationObservers), so maybe that won't reload every page.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

lewisje wrote:It looks like this is what the UserScript does, except it uses more modern Web technology (replaceState and MutationObservers), so maybe that won't reload every page.
When you're on youtube.com and you're navigating from one page to another, unlike on other websites, the page doesn't change. It only replaces the URL and some parts of the content. Therefore you need to use workarounds like mutation observers to try to detect when the user navigates to a different page. That, however, is quite unreliable since YouTube may change the structure of the site at any time so we'd have to update the extension every time they make changes. And even then it would only work for YouTube but not for other websites such as Vimeo, Dailymotion, Medium, etc.

Maybe you'd be interested in Flattr Plus though, where we try to tackle the issue from a different angle: https://flattrplus.com/ It's not ready for the public yet but we're working on it. :)