Please - block animations, videos, sounds.

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Michael3442

Please - block animations, videos, sounds.

Post by Michael3442 »

I understand the need for ad revenue. Perhaps a feature that allows us to block automatically starting animations, videos, slide shows, and sounds would gain acceptability in the corporate/ad world. Years ago I used the NETCAPTOR browser and it did have a check box for preventing animations - it worked!
lewisje

Re: Please - block animations, videos, sounds.

Post by lewisje »

First, it wouldn't gain acceptability in the advertising world, because what the Web advertisers want is your attention; anything that detracts from that (mainly content-blockers, but also the click-to-play-plugins feature most browsers have) is anathema to them.

Second, this sort of thing is out of scope for ABP: To do this, Eyeo would need to essentially bundle the functionality of multiple extensions into ABP. It doesn't seem like this would be especially difficult to do, but my Disable Audio/Video Autoplay UserScript shows the difficulty of doing it via userspace JS code (the main problem is when scripts on the page try to auto-start the video, rather than relying on the video element's autoplay feature), and I fail to see how a browser extension (which has less power to affect the browsing engine than NetCaptor, an IE shell, did) could hijack all the ways that code on a page could run a slideshow; however, there are already ways to keep animated GIFs and SVGs from auto-starting (links to two Chrome extensions that work in different ways, and mentions built-in ways for Firefox and IE): http://www.howtogeek.com/257408/how-to- ... b-browser/
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Michael3442

Re: Please - block animations, videos, sounds.

Post by Michael3442 »

Thanks for your informative reply, appreciated.