Howdy! Got a question -

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
jdc20181

Howdy! Got a question -

Post by jdc20181 »

I have been developing a open source browser for sometime, and looking to incorporate AD-Block to it, it uses the IE control (sadly) I would want to let the user enable and disable, could someone give me a overview of what obstacles I would face, how to go about it etc.
lewisje

Re: Howdy! Got a question -

Post by lewisje »

Why? IE itself is deprecated.

With that said, probably the way you'd do it is similar to how ABP for IE itself was done (note that despite using the Trident engine, your shell will not be able to just use ABP for IE; maybe you already knew that, but I'm just saying that for any other budding IE shell developers): blog/working-towards-adblock-plus-for-internet-explorer

You might be better off implementing a simpler filtering system, the way GreenBrowser and at least one other IE shell did (I think FlashPeak SlimBrowser?).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
jdc20181

Re: Howdy! Got a question -

Post by jdc20181 »

Yes I know and I hate Internet explorer, but my browser runs wonderfully. It doesn't have the crappy issues that IE itself has had.

Although its depreciated its the only way to add a browser control to a win form app with NO issues. All the rest aren't for whatI am using it for- or are so old versions of the wrapper e.g. Awesomium is like version 19 of chrome and we are in the 50's.

Plus many of the things you can do with the IE control you can't do with others, beleive me, I have tried others but they are crappy.