ABP for K-Meleon again? Why not?

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
rodocop

ABP for K-Meleon again? Why not?

Post by rodocop »

Hi there!
It's a pity that ABP for KM browser stopped to develop.

There was a reason when KM was frozen too. But now it evolves for 3 years and our great wish is to get our ABP back! Please, Wladimir and comrades, couldn't you revive your great tool in its K-Meleon flavour?

With all the possible respect, yours K-Meleon community
googolstrength

Re: ABP for K-Meleon again? Why not?

Post by googolstrength »

PLEASE do that! I've been using ABP for Firefox and have been meaning to switch to a different browser. I've tried a few and looked at quite some, and stuck with K-Meleon. I fucking love it. I would greatly appreciate the convenience of your support.
rodocop

Post by rodocop »

There are some 'homemade' adaptations of ABP for KM74-75, yes. Current are here.

But!
1) This is just a crutch instead native addon. It creates additional UI elements to emulate 'browser.xml'. Not very convenient.
2) More important - that crutch isn't compatible with newer KM 76 so we cannot use 'Live Block page items' option there.
3) abp:-protocol cannot be handled by K-Meleon for now. Well, we can add filters ans subs manually, but it's very inconvenient for novices and unexperienced users.

Years ago Wladimir Palant created small dll (kplugin - KM-specific plugin) that made buttons for KM's toolbar and status bar with all the options available.

So our wishes and prayers are directed to anyone who can reproduce such an integration.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

That plugin is everything but trivial unfortunately. Also, much of the Adblock Plus code it relies on changed or went away in the meantime. And while K-Meleon appears to be developed again, it is also lagging behind Firefox quite considerably. So currently K-Meleon is based on Gecko 31 while our code started requiring Gecko 38 quite some time ago. K-Meleon based on Gecko 38 is still in an alpha stage - yet even Gecko 38 is an end-of-life ESR branch and has been for some time already. By the time K-Meleon 76 based on Gecko 38 is released there will be likely a reason for us to drop support for Gecko 38 already.

So I don't think that I can justify spending my work time on this. And my spare time is also full with other projects that are more important. The repository is still there however and I won't turn down contributions.