About popups that appear temporarily before getting blocked

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
darkblue

About popups that appear temporarily before getting blocked

Post by darkblue »

First of all, happy new year to everybody

Using ABP 2.8.2 (with EasyList) in Firefox 50 in win10.

It's about popups which are managed by ABP alright, but the popup appears momentarily and then it's quickly closed by ABP.
Would it be possible such popups to be completely blocked by ABP, i.e. not to appear at all?
That's my feature request.

I get such popups e.g. as I browse torrent search results in thepiratebay.org.
STR:
open https://thepiratebay.org/recent, delete all thepiratebay.org cookies and then click the blue "Next" link (results' page #2 will open).
Now click that Next link 2 more times (to navigate to results' page 3 and 4 respectively): a popup (managed by ABP) will surely appear momentarily each time.

Thank you.
Last edited by darkblue on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
lewisje

Re: (Feature request) About popups quickly closed by ABP

Post by lewisje »

darkblue wrote:It's about popups which are managed by ABP alright, but the popup appears momentarily and then it's quickly closed by ABP.
Would it be possible such popups to be completely blocked by ABP, i.e. not to appear at all?
If it were possible, they would have done that; FTR, uBlock Origin also has to use that clumsy method to deal with unwanted popups.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
darkblue

Re: About popups that appear temporarily before getting blocked

Post by darkblue »

Last edited by darkblue on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mapx

Post by mapx »

lewisje wrote:uBlock origin also has to use that clumsy method to deal with unwanted popups.
- when is using only easylist
- when is using the injecting filters (uBo specific filters) the popups wont be visible anymore

(but you already know this ..)
darkblue

Post by darkblue »

mapx wrote:
lewisje wrote:uBlock origin also has to use that clumsy method to deal with unwanted popups.
- when is using only easylist
- when is using the injecting filters (uBo specific filters) the popups wont be visible anymore

(but you already know this ..)
I have added this test page in the bug report, http://raymondhill.net/ublock/popup.html :
in tests: 2-6, 8 and 11 the popups appear momentarily before getting blocked,
for both uBO and ABP (the popups are blocked by EasyList), in both Firefox and Chrome.

All these cases are logged in both ABP and uBO as 'POPUP'.

So my request with that bug report is, Firefox to allow adblockers to be able to block popups from being created (as tabs/windows), instead of having to wait for them to be created and then close them,
i.e. independently of uBO great feature to inject uBO specific filters in order to to block inline scripts.

Chrome's upcoming approach to block tab-under behavior (that you've mentioned in the bug report) seems great, but it's an improvement upon its built-in popup blocker.
Plus, it only aims against tabunders / popunders. And it will also show an alert whenever such a popup is blocked.

My suggestion is different, more general:
to allow adblockers to totally block such popups without any alert/notification from the browser, i.e. as adblockers currently work,
so that you will only get informed about such blocked popups if you check the adblocker's logger yourself.
mapx

Re: About popups that appear temporarily before getting blocked

Post by mapx »

Closing popups quickly after their creation is exactly how the adblockers are working => using individual rules per site (or some generic popup rules).

What you requested is more about a generic popup blocker - which blocks all the popups and eventually maintains a list of false positives (whitelist / blacklist).

uBo is using its advanced features to "delete" the popup at the root (destroying the script).
I don't know if firefox can do something more (other than implementing the approach chrome is developing right now against tabunders) due to a big quantity of FP's happening in the websites world.