WebRTC blocking

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
jackwauck

WebRTC blocking

Post by jackwauck »

It seems like more and more sites are using WebRTC for serving ads. Are there plans to block WebRTC like how WebSockets are blocked? It seems like everyone is just saying to switch to ubo from abp right now.
mapx

Re: WebRTC blocking

Post by mapx »

Yes, there is a ticket opened on the bug tracker (marked confidential, so you wont be able to see it) with this goal.
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/4455
Nevertheless, there isn't a precise date when a patch will be released.

The problem is only for chrome. In Firefox you can switch off webrtc in about:config settings.
jackwauck

Post by jackwauck »

I get an error when I try and visit that ticket:
TICKET_VIEW privileges are required to perform this operation on Ticket #4455. You don't have the required permissions.
I thought it was because I didn't have an account, but I created an account (same username) and verified my email, but still the same error. :(
jackwauck

Post by jackwauck »

Oh, I just realized now you said I wouldn't be able to view it. That stinks.
jackwauck

Post by jackwauck »

Have there been any updates? I still cannot view the bug. There are even more sites now that are using WebRTC to show ads and I haven't heard anything in over a month :( I've been learning about easy list to write my own rules and I noticed instances where $xhttprequest and $websocket are blocked. Can't we do the same to sites that are using WebRTC for only ads?
jackwauck

Post by jackwauck »

Oh, it's actually been exactly a month. Also, if this is the wrong place to ask, let me know. I originally wrote on easy list but they told me to write here.
mapx

Post by mapx »

as I said you: the issue is still waiting the devs to approach it ..