Page 12 of 14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:52 pm
by Goosey
I really preferred the cockroach icon. Far more descriptive, and not too eye catching - The red draws too much attention and is similar to the default FF "Stop Loading" button.

Just my 2c :/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:55 pm
by MonztA
Some users in Adblock Plus comments don't like it so much either. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/comments/

BTW: Version Notes should be updated on https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865 ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:00 pm
by Wladimir Palant
The style has been uploaded: http://userstyles.org/style/show/1196

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:57 pm
by kfft
There's a problem with the color. Red is too eye catching and usually means warning, stop, danger. The usual functioning should not be red.

The possibility to choose another icon is interesting but is not a good answer. The icon is the symbol, the brand name of ADP. Could we vote with a bit more choice? I don't think this one would be the winner. It is the interest of everybody we want the best trademark for a product we really appreciate.

Rgds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:40 pm
by nimd4
Not trying to be negative here, but honestly the new icons suck :( So did the bug :/ & no can do better ones either ..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:36 pm
by Andrew Smith
Agreed Those new Icons are not good !
And style is not the solution, too complex for novice users like me.
DO SOMETHING PLEEEEASE VLAD !

BAD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:40 pm
by YORAP
Come on it is even worse than the cockroach ! How did you chose this new icons?????????????
Do something for the community of users who don't understand this choice and don't understand how to change then, and by what?
Personally I don't have any replacement icon !!!


YORAP !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:00 pm
by Fox
Andrew Smith wrote:And style is not the solution, too complex for novice users like me.

if you can install Adblock Plus, you also can install stylish -extension and that style.
(That page has install -button after stylish is installed).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:19 pm
by NJH
YOUAP, Andrew, nimd4, kfft, Goosey, John23 and jigarsh - just from this page.

This change of icon discussion has been going on for quite a while now if you care to read the whole thread. There were a few major contributors and this is what they have come up with. If you do not like what you see now, perhaps you should have taken part in the earlier discussion. All your comments are negative whinges without a word of thanks for this tremendous extension. You need to remember that views on things like icons are personal opinions and as such no view is right or wrong, but it is what the thread contributors have come up with. Other people like me are happy with the new icons or indifferent to the changes, so I do not believe they are universally disliked.
If you prefer the old icons, just go to where Wladimir pointed you - http://userstyles.org/style/show/1196, follow the instructions and you have them back. Some themes change them as well.

Having done a number of system implementations over the years it has become very apparent that people make a lot more noise about something they have lost from the old system rather than what they have gained from the new one, and it can be very demoralising for the implementer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:20 am
by alta88
imo, the new icons are a logarithmic improvement upon the old icon. a good deal of thought went into them.

most importantly, a mechanism exists whereby you can have exactly the old behavior if you choose to do so and feel strongly enough about it. wp has done everything possible to both move forward and accommodate users accustomed to the prior.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:46 am
by IceDogg
alta88 wrote:wp has done everything possible to both move forward and accommodate users accustomed to the prior.


Couldn't agree more! well said

kudos to creator(s)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:35 am
by helios
Adblock Plus is the piece of code that by far improved my overall web experience most over the last months (perhaps years).

Thank you!

And thanks again for pointing out the possibility to return to the old icons via userChrome.css
I do not like the new icons (too 'eye-catching'), but it is definitly up to you to decide! :)

(I think this software has earned its right to impose an iconset and have the user remember which icon is ON and OFF.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:16 pm
by guest
I really want the bug icon back!! PLEASE!!! :cry:

Its painful to look at the new-big-red-ugly one! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:11 pm
by PeterPablo
Just read the whole thread!
http://userstyles.org/style/show/1196,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:39 pm
by John23
NJH wrote:YOUAP, Andrew, nimd4, kfft, Goosey, John23 and jigarsh - just from this page.

This change of icon discussion has been going on for quite a while now if you care to read the whole thread. There were a few major contributors and this is what they have come up with. If you do not like what you see now, perhaps you should have taken part in the earlier discussion. All your comments are negative whinges without a word of thanks for this tremendous extension. You need to remember that views on things like icons are personal opinions and as such no view is right or wrong, but it is what the thread contributors have come up with. Other people like me are happy with the new icons or indifferent to the changes, so I do not believe they are universally disliked.
If you prefer the old icons, just go to where Wladimir pointed you - http://userstyles.org/style/show/1196, follow the instructions and you have them back. Some themes change them as well.

Having done a number of system implementations over the years it has become very apparent that people make a lot more noise about something they have lost from the old system rather than what they have gained from the new one, and it can be very demoralising for the implementer.


I'm more than a little irritated by the fact that you have included me in that list of unappreciative whiners.

The whole point of my post was to provide feedback. I specifically went out of my way to show clear appreciation for this extension, and the hours and hours of work that obviously goes into it.

However, I think you'll find that the majority of the Adblock Plus userbase does NOT keep tabs on this extensions development process (They likely either dont know about this place, or, like me, dont have the time). As such, they, like me, only knew of the icon change when it actually happened when the extension was updated.

Therefore, despite a relatively small active area of the Adblock Plus userbase seemingly approving the new icon. The majority seem to disagree, and seem to be calling for the old one's return?

Given that the majority of users have no idea as to what userChrome.css even is, the area of code to be copied and pasted there is also of no help.

Again, this is not a dig, this is an attempt at helpful feedback.

I hope its taken on board when the extensions developer decides where to go from here.

Again, Adblock Plus is a fantastic and must needed extension. It obviously takes a lot of work, and I becieve with some confidence that I speak for the whole community when I say that the extension developers efforts are very very much appreciated.

Hope this helps!

John :)