Feature request: revenue deprived counter

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
parth.gohil

Post by parth.gohil »

We all know the web runs on ads, and here we are trying to stop the intrusive ones and depriving the web of that teeny bit of revenue that could make a whole lot of difference to either the website or the advertiser who knew you were the perfect audience for their product. While I (as a long time Adblock plus enthusiast and evangelist) want to stop the intrusive ads, I also want to be more mindful of how much it hurts the ecosystem.

Now that I've made the premise clear, here comes the feature request, how about if ABP replaces the ads with product/service name that the ad was about and also has a counter in ABP that can estimate the revenue those ads could've generated instead of the number of ads. Since we live in a capitalistic society, the count of ads doesn't matter unless they are associated with a number the people can understand. This will encourage users to either donate appropriately to the product or to stop using it altogether, and from my understanding, the former will be more prevalent and serve the internet and the product a little bit better.
lewisje

Re: Feature request: revenue deprived counter

Post by lewisje »

With the way ABP works (check the URL against the patterns in the filter-list), there is no way to determine what specific product or service was going to be advertised with the content from random-ad-server.example on any given visit; also, a browser extension cannot estimate how much an ad would have earned for the site without data from the ad-providers that the site-owners probably wouldn't want to entrust to Eyeo.

Still, thank you for rehashing an old and fundamentally flawed suggestion.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.