The scourge of autoplay videos

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
jfstanton137

The scourge of autoplay videos

Post by jfstanton137 »

Although the Adblock Plus homepage indicates that autoplay videos will be blocked, this is definitely not the case. I even posted on the reviews section about this and was told that it should work. However, using chrome, it does not seem possible to block incoming loud and obnoxious videos from a number of sources, epitomized by Yahoo1 news. There is a chrome discussion on this topic that reveals there are many users annoyed beyond description with this -- chrome used to do native auto-blocking of them but has "turned this off", and I had hoped that Adblock+ would be able to do the job. If anyone has any ideas about this and how it might be accomplished, it would fall on welcome ears.
lewisje

Re: The scourge of autoplay videos

Post by lewisje »

I think it meant that it blocks ads, including ads that auto-play video, but even then it's not perfect; in general, it's difficult to keep video from auto-playing while still letting it load, and I remember trying very hard with this UserScript: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/8022- ... o-autoplay
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.