Issues in the new ABP (version 3) for firefox

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
OhhJustSTFU

Re: Issues in ABP 3.0

Post by OhhJustSTFU »

feels like a downgrade
block element no longer works as it used to now i have to right click and view image info and copy and paste that into block element add and then press x to close then refresh
before it was just block element add done
SunStroke

Post by SunStroke »

Good day, all.
Where to gone the sync future (firefox)? It was very useful to sync computers in org`s local network.
Other limitations i can accept temporary.
mapx

Post by mapx »

SunStroke wrote:Where to gone the sync future (firefox)?
it's a question for mozilla ...however, open options in FF and you'll get under "Firefox Account"
mapx

Post by mapx »

OhhJustSTFU wrote:feels like a downgrade
block element no longer works as it used to now i have to right click and view image info and copy and paste that into block element add and then press x to close then refresh
before it was just block element add done
- If you downgrade you have to stick with FF 56 (firefox will avoid the old addons starting with FF 57 version)
- "block element" has a bug but it's under review: https://codereview.adblockplus.org/29602561/
SunStroke

Post by SunStroke »

mapx wrote:...however, open options in FF and you'll get under "Firefox Account"
I mean that ABP 3 for firefox don`t want sync prefs (incl. custom rules) as it was in 2.9.1. I deleted whitelist item on one comp and it not synced with other comp even after day. My firefox account is set.
mapx

Post by mapx »

probably you should use a private list (on some server) , this way will be available on all your devices
SunStroke

Post by SunStroke »

mapx wrote:probably you should use a private list (on some server) , this way will be available on all your devices
Yes, that list would be updated on all computers automatically. BUT, to add custom list i must run across each comp in network and add it manually, because ABP 3 is not sync its prefs.
mapx

Post by mapx »

I know, but it's a one-time operation.
Probably you should file an issue on the bug tracker:
https://issues.adblockplus.org
Thorzdad

Re: Adblockplus 3.0

Post by Thorzdad »

mapx wrote:2. click F12, click "Adblock Plus" tab, press F5 (refreshing the page) ==> You'll get the list of the web requests, triggered filters, hover the rows and you can click "block item" / "add an exception"
This does not work for Mac users. I have FF56 and ABP3 and there is no way to view the blocked/blockable items list. There's nothing for ABP under Tools > Web Developer.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Weird, FF 56 in windows is ok (I mean I can see that section / tab).
However, FF 56 is buggy, could you try FF 57 (in beta now) ?
meowmix56

Post by meowmix56 »

I had the same problem and found this thread looking for a solution. The view blockable items feature was the one thing that made me keep apb around over ublock. I guess I will try to find an older version.
mozreactor

Post by mozreactor »

Like others, I'd just like to let you know that I do not like the direction that you've taken with version 3, most especially with the "select element to hide" item.

I've downgraded to 2.9.1 and blocked updates (thankfully it was simple and non-destructive) and I'm happy again.

I'd also like to say that I use the Waterfox browser which will be providing support for "legacy"-style add-ons for the foreseeable future.
Crowley1661

Post by Crowley1661 »

How do I downgrade to 2.9.1? The link from the homepage here

https://adblockplus.org/

adds the new terrible version with the non-working Block Element. I downgraded to FF54 W10 and disabled automatic updates to everything because 56 broke stuff, now all of the sudden nothing works anymore.

And why is Adblock+ so laggy on Firefox these days anyway? Takes 10-20 seconds for any page to function normally without lagging like it's run by a Windows98 machine with the least amount of ram.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Read the thread.

install 2.9.1 from:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

Then set OFF the addon updates. And stay on < FF 56 (from FF 57 the old addons don't work anymore).
David Revill

Post by David Revill »

So can I confirm I understand correctly - the customizable "View Blockable Items" feature **will** be reinstated in future versions of ABP for Firefox? I agree with most of the other posts here. It's absolutely essential in terms of being able to be as tight or as relaxed as you want about tracking scripts and the like. If your aim is to keep things really locked down, as mine is, the clumsy default options don't offer enough protection. The presence of "View Blockable Items" was what made ABP my go-to until now. Without it ABP is not fit for purpose I'm afraid. So I hope it's coming back.