Issues in the new ABP (version 3) for firefox

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
wyxchari

Re: How do I disable auto-updating to the latest version (3.0)?

Post by wyxchari »

mapx wrote:You have to stay with FF 56, otherwise beginning with FF 57 the old addons will be removed / disabled
I am very disappointed. I will not have another one. I prefer to easy edit the custom filters and stay with Adblock 2.9.1 and Firefox 56 than have Adblock 3.0 and Firefox 57 when it is released.

I also have many computers with Windows XP and Firefox 52 esr and it is useless to upgrade to Adblock 3.0 since Firefox 52 is the last one that works in Windows XP. Adblock should detect Windows XP with Firefox to not upgrade to version 3.0.

Thanks.
SpinalBallsit

Re: Adblockplus 3.0

Post by SpinalBallsit »

wspee wrote:
As @mapx pointed out the list of filterable items is still available via the development tools (F12 then "Adblock Plus", F5 to refresh the list).
Well it's useless, there's no way to block exceptions from the dev tool section, and the exceptions are going through regardless of disabling all "acceptable ads & trackers".
Also the sort by object type, doesn't work. I used to detect and block tracking scripts on a wildcard base, most which are NOT blocked with the standard filter subscriptions.
That option is gone too, unless i pick it, and write in the filter manually to my custom filters. Something that could be done in 5 seconds and 3 clicks before through the blockable items window.
Now you have to wait for dev tools to load, then go to the adblock tab, and then reload/refresh the page, as the tab picks up nothing from the initial load, and still only generic blocks are available, unless you manually write them in yourself from scratch.

Why does every great software have to be destroyed by these dumbed down overhauls ?
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

SpinalBallsit wrote:Why does every great software have to be destroyed by these dumbed down overhauls ?
I'd like to point out that we don't want to dumb down our software. Unfortunately, Firefox 57 is no longer going to support the existing Adblock Plus version or any of the other Firefox extensions because they're introducing an entirely new extension system. Therefore, in the last few months since they announced it, we worked on getting as many features from the existing extension onto that new system.

As wspee pointed out we're going to continue adding important features to the extension that you've gotten used to from previous versions of Adblock Plus. For that it is important for us to know which features users consider to be most important so that those can be added first.
Osmium1

Re: blockable items on page in ABP 3.0

Post by Osmium1 »

So the easy way to block items and see the changes (including the resulting repositioning of other items) before confirming is now really gone?
That was the main reason for me to stick with ABP, looks like it is time to look for alternatives. Screw you for dumbing down!
PiotrMP006

Firefox ABP3: Why prefs.js user_pref settings don't work?

Post by PiotrMP006 »

Hi

user_pref("extensions.adblockplus.frameobjects", false);
user_pref("extensions.adblockplus.defaulttoolbaraction", 3);
TheFish

"Disable Everywhere" is gone

Post by TheFish »

Prior to version 3.0 there was a quick way to enable/disable ABP in the toolbar ("Disable Everywhere"). Unfortunately it is gone. I want it back.
mapx

Re: Firefox ABP3: Why prefs.js user_pref settings don't work?

Post by mapx »

PiotrMP006 wrote:Hi

user_pref("extensions.adblockplus.frameobjects", false);
user_pref("extensions.adblockplus.defaulttoolbaraction", 3);
The new FF extensions system avoids a lot of legacy stuff (used by ABP in the past).

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add ... references
Add-ons using the techniques described in this document are considered a legacy technology in Firefox. Don't use these techniques to develop new add-ons.
temp20171106

Post by temp20171106 »

"open blockable items list" was a tool that I used daily not just for ad blocking, but for website inspections.
I didn't use filter subscriptions, I blocked everything myself. I didn't know about Youtube ads until a year or so ago.

without blockable list you can only plan to block what you see, but not some script.

today I even saw a div that passed through site.com##div.class-name rule.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

temp20171106 wrote:without blockable list you can only plan to block what you see, but not some script.
The list of blockable items still exists. We simply had to move it elsewhere (see mapx' post above) because that sort of UI integration is no longer possible with the upcoming Firefox version.
temp20171106 wrote:today I even saw a div that passed through site.com##div.class-name rule.
If you let me know on which page and which rule you were using, I can look into that.
temp20171106

Post by temp20171106 »

I couldn't repro that rule bug, but I know that I saw it.

but I don't see Adblock tab in F12, on debian stable, FF ESR 52.4.0

only Inspector, Console, Debugger, Style edi.., Perform.., Memory, Network.

perhaps have to apt-get update && upgrade.
elophan

Post by elophan »

I know the feature I'd love to have back is the "disable on this page only" feature. If my only option is to whitelist an entire website so it can bombard me with ads, just to load one single page, then I might as well uninstall ABP, because it's defeating its own purpose. Thank you.
bruceb

Re: Issues in ABP 3.0

Post by bruceb »

Agree, we should still have the choice of disabling on selected pages of a web site, it that is what we need.
Also what happened to the Export or Import Filter List option ? Very important to be able to back up what
filters are in use, especially if custom filters are used.
Finiderire

Post by Finiderire »

temp20171106 wrote:Hi,
just wanted to give some feedback, sorry if you already got that from other people.

1. UI dumbification is not good.
2. there is no way to see blockable elements list anymore. It's kind of essential in creating new filters.
3. filter editing dialog is also awful(ie the plain textbox)
+1 :!:

Edit: After reading about "this will not be compatible with latest Firefox" so as the future is going to be fucked up you decided it was a good idea to wreck your app in advance ? Genius. :?

Edit 2: Next time before applying Updates that do not Update but install a totally different software (just like you did) please request a user validation ! Now I have to search the forum to see how I can revert back to previous version. What a waste of time. :evil:
Levi62

Re: Issues in ABP 3.0

Post by Levi62 »

Seem like that i will have to remove ABP since it lost all that i need. I will check regularly if the feature i need came back but i will only use ublock now since it can do some more...

I'm disconsolate...