Is there a way to hide that AdBlockPlus is used?

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
ambar

Is there a way to hide that AdBlockPlus is used?

Post by ambar »

[I did not find a thread to this topic, therefore I open a new one]

Problem:
More and more pages detect whether an ad blocker is used or not. Therefore, I get more and more ads that not only distract me from reading (flickering ads, videos), but also consume computing power, internet bandwidth (especially on smart phones), and energy, therefore also polluting our environment with more CO2 (!) and polluting me with more radiation using a smart phone or WLAN.
I don't know how they detect it, maybe by checking wether the ad site is contacted for the ad link (I am not an expert in this, but want to start a discussion for a possible workaround).

Possible solutions:
So somehow a contact to the ad site should be allowed, but then proceeded in a different way than displaying the ads. I see several possible ways:
- Slow down the download so that the download never ends and the ad is never displayed. If this does not help:
- Is a resolution of the screen or some other capabilities of the display, device or connection transmitted to the ad site? Then send the lowest values possible. Otherwise:
- Download the contents, but display them only as frozen image or as a grey field.

Any other ideas?

It would be great if the real power of ABP would come back and its use could not be detected any more!
SpinalBallsit

Re: Is there a way to hide that AdBlockPlus is used?

Post by SpinalBallsit »

No but you can block the overlays used to detect this on most sites. (they are not detected from the main site domain on many occasions, but through a 3rd party)
Many of them are loaded from cloudfront servers, use a packet/traffic sniffer to detect them, and then add them to your host file.