[Done] Yet Another Preferences Design

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Peng: Because:
a) Different operating systems have different conventions about the Apply button.
b) No button in the standard dialog template has a placement that can be used for an Apply button.
c) Firefox doesn't use Apply buttons at all - nowhere.
Peng

Post by Peng »

....Oh.

Well, an Apply button would still be convenient.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@Peng: Because:
a) Different operating systems have different conventions about the Apply button.
b) No button in the standard dialog template has a placement that can be used for an Apply button.
c) Firefox doesn't use Apply buttons at all - nowhere.
wp, i totally respect your adherence to platform independence and interoperability standards.

except in this case - the ergonomic is too important, the lack is too inconvenient, even maddening, to accept those reasons. surely you *could* make a button, any custom button, that does an effective 'apply'. call it something else if it helps ;)

the stylish editor has an apply button.. Fx' lack of one is completely unimportant; there's no equivalent usage of changing frequently and testing results.

or are you saying it is architecturally impossible at a core level, without first closing the Prefs window? is it impossible to execute code to 'apply' when simply toggling a filter on/off without closing the window?
Wladimir Palant

@alta88: No, the function itself is trivial to implement, it really is about the button. I guess I could do a hack and insert a new button between "OK" and "Cancel", I just really dislike doing that. And having five buttons in this dialog...

Stylish doesn't use real dialogs, it will also display the buttons in wrong order on Linux.
adum

Post by adum »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@alta88: No, the function itself is trivial to implement, it really is about the button. I guess I could do a hack and insert a new button between "OK" and "Cancel", I just really dislike doing that. And having five buttons in this dialog...

Stylish doesn't use real dialogs, it will also display the buttons in wrong order on Linux.
But I think that the button being asked (me too) is really a "Apply filters" buttons, more related to the current "Add filters" button, nor to the standard "Apply" button. Specially if now "Add filter" is at the bottom, like this last devbuild.

If five buttons are too much, I would remove the "Help" button; with the Help menu at the top of the Preferences window I think would be far enough.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I have to agree with removing the help button. Like adum said it's right there at the top right (where it would be expected) anyway. I currently use stylish to remove that button.
Wladimir Palant

Ok, with the development build released a few minutes ago the redesign is pretty much completed. Apply button has been added, Help button removed, icon to cancel the inline editor works, single click on "Add filter" list item starts the editor immediately. Now the big question: does it work for you? What are the issues that still need to be solved? Is something less usable than it was before?

Personally I like the new design much better, quite a few trouble points have been eliminated. It is also more consistent with all the filter editing going on inside the list. What I dislike is the "Add filter" appearing three times in this dialog - as a list item, as a button and in the Filters menu. I would like to throw out at least one of them, unfortunately there are good reasons for each one. Top candidate for throwing out would be the menu item (with a button in a prominent position it is simply redundant) but we need to show the keyboard shortcut somewhere.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Now the big question: does it work for you? What are the issues that still need to be solved? Is something less usable than it was before?
My bad english:) feedback is Here.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Wladimir Palant wrote:As to the missing RegExp warning on Copy&Paste – this is by design, you probably had the warning already for the item you are copying.
No, it's really missing.
And No errors in JavaScript -console and javascript.options.showInConsole is true.

But i did also notice, that RegExp warning is also missing in 0.7.0.2 (last official release), when i paste RegExp in filter box.
So it's then feature :)
I'am not sure what you did mean with "this is by design."
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I take it back, this new design is much better WP. Thanks.

Also thank you very much for removing the help button. Much better now.

The two add filter spots, I don't really see as much of a problem. As I reported in the feedback on the blog, I'd say keep the button as opposed to the add filter inside the filters area. I just feel it will be easier to discover. If you feel one must go. But doesn't really matter as either will work fine after everyone gets use to it.
Wladimir Palant

@Fox: There isn't supposed to be a warning when you paste filters. This warning should prevent you from adding regexps accidentially - like "/ad/" when the thing you really wanted is "*/ad/*". So the program should warn you when you add new filters, maybe also when you edit a filter and make it a regexp - but not when you paste. Because whatever you paste comes from a list of filters, and the creator of the list has seen the regexp warning already.

@IceDogg: There is a third "Add filter" in the Filters menu.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Ok, that makes sense.

Now i have another Inline editor -issue.
1. Open inline editor.
2. Use Edit -> Paste.
and filter goes to the filter box.

If inline editor is open and i use CTRL+V, it goes to the inline editor, good.
Wladimir Palant

@Fox: Ouch, this looks pretty bad... I think I should cancel the editor if the user goes into menu.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Wladimir Palant wrote:I think I should cancel the editor if the user goes into menu.
Why?, i did think it would be cool to use them if/when editor is open.

I did notice that this issue is also in 0.7.0.2.
I have almost never used that Edit -menu, i mainly use keyboard shortcut's and mouse's context menu.
Wladimir Palant

Fox wrote:
Wladimir Palant wrote:I think I should cancel the editor if the user goes into menu.
Why?, i did think it would be cool to use them if/when editor is open.
Because some of those menu items (like "remove all filters") will confuse the editor a lot and fixing it all isn't worth the effort.