[Done] Redesigning preferences dialog

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
vinny86

Re: [Done] Redesigning preferences dialog

Post by vinny86 »

Wladimir,
Really Really want the update all subscriptions option back :)
and we can lose the edit sub name .. i second Hubird. Don't think users should change the names.

If i have any original suggestions .. will get back to you.
Marijo

Post by Marijo »

Wladimir, "Update filters" in the context menu is a bit confusing considering it only updates a single subscription. Can you rename it to "Update filter" or "Update subscription"?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Hubird, @vinny86: Please see my reasoning at the beginning of the topic for not making this feature too prominent, most users should only have a single subscription anyway. What if I bring back the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-Shift-T) but don't add it to the user interface?

@Marijo: Well, a single filter subscription consists of many filters - we use that terminology consistently in the user interface. It also shouldn't be too confusing given that the Actions menu clearly refers to a single subscription. "Update filter" will clearly be wrong but maybe "Update filter subscription" will be better. Any other opinions?
Marijo

Post by Marijo »

For a brief moment ABP displays "Downloading..." while updating a subscription. That's a good enough indicator that only this selected subscription is being updated.
Sorry for the noise! The new UI takes some getting used to! :oops:
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Wladimir, I read your "Remove options" section at the beginning of this topic however I don't see how removing options completely helps cut down on the duplication of options (now they are nowhere).
Hubird wrote:If a user does not know how to hold down ctrl / shift to select multiple subs then they get the current behaviour and nothing changes for them. The same however can not be said for users who do know how to use these features, It is very tedious for a user to have to individually select and update multiple lists.
I still feel the above makes a very strong case for being able to make multiple selections simultaneously. The UI is no more complicated and the functionality is greatly increased...

Seems like a win win situation to me.
Wladimir Palant wrote:most users should only have a single subscription anyway
I'm not convinced this is the case. For example I think it would be safe to say more people use EasyList and EasyPrivacy as separate subscriptions than the combined equivalent, not to mention a main and non English based supplemental.

Also ABP has become more than just an ad blocking tool now, just about every subscription has a separate privacy list, we have the malware domains, my Antisocial and Fanboy's annoyance list. It is very reasonable for a user to have say

EasyList
Easlyist Germany
EasyPrivacy
Antisocial / Fanboy annoyance
malware domains
Wladimir Palant wrote:What if I bring back the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-Shift-T) but don't add it to the user interface?
IMO short key combinations have their place but are not very discoverable, according to this article only 1 in 10 know the Ctrl + F shortcut, being able to select multiple subscriptions with ctrl / shift seems to be an easy solution to this issue.
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

Many opinions Wladimir :D Most of these might be retarded, feel free to ignore.

How about the subscription names being in bold (like before) or capitals ? Right now, everything is too uniform.

"Filter List" can be changed to "View List" or "View Filters" or "View Filter list"

"Show/Hide Filters" needs to be an option outside the right click Menu OR double clicking can expand the filters like before ?

For me, when i uncheck the tick box ... it still shows Enabled. Should it say disable ?
Wladimir Palant

Ok, I will consider multiple selection for this list - but not for this release, sorry.

Options are in the ABP icon's menu. Once I am done the add-on manager will provide you the same options instead of opening Filter Preferences.
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

3. Apply changes immediately

Rationale: The temporary copy of all filters that the preferences dialog is currently working on adds much to the complexity of the implementation. The users on the other hand don't seem to appreciate it - they are regularly confused that clicking OK is required to make changes apply, just closing the dialog won't do it.

Proposal: Apply all changes immediately. Replace OK/Apply/Cancel buttons by a single Close button - it won't do anything other than closing the dialog because all changes have been saved already.
How about the button say "save and close", i know its too much text though, but just close is kinda tricky compared to all the software we use, everything has either a apply or OK, someone who is not familiar with whats in the quote above, might keep searching for the apply/ok button.

BTW Wladimir hope you are not disheartened by the amount of criticism flowing in ;)
Wladimir Palant

vinny86 wrote:How about the subscription names being in bold (like before) or capitals ?
Bold takes up too much space unfortunately. And currently some of our recommended subscriptions have names that are far too long ("RuAdList+EasyList (русский, українська)").
vinny86 wrote:"Filter List" can be changed to "View List" or "View Filters" or "View Filter list"
No, filters are viewed in the list on the right, this is merely a link to them.
vinny86 wrote:"Show/Hide Filters" needs to be an option outside the right click Menu
It does show the filters for the current subscription only. But you can click the resizer, it is visible on the right side of the window when the filters are hidden.
vinny86 wrote:For me, when i uncheck the tick box ... it still shows Enabled. Should it say disable ?
No - if "Enabled" is unchecked then the subscription is not enabled.
vinny86 wrote:How about the button say "save and close"
That would imply that changes are applied when you click the button - that's not the case, all changes are applied immediately.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

vinny86 wrote:BTW Wladimir hope you are not disheartened by the amount of criticism flowing in ;)
I think the new layout has a lot going for it...

eg: It is now very easy to see if the lists failed to update, much easier to get to the home page of a particular subscription. The whole point of development builds is to get some feedback.
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

vinny86 wrote:"Filter List" can be changed to "View List" or "View Filters" or "View Filter list"

Wladimir: No, filters are viewed in the list on the right, this is merely a link to them.
Open Filter URL / View Filter URL / View URL
vinny86 wrote:For me, when i uncheck the tick box ... it still shows Enabled. Should it say disable ?

Wladimir: No - if "Enabled" is unchecked then the subscription is not enabled.
Then Enable will be better instead of Enabled Wladimir ? because Enabled implies it is active.
vinny86 wrote:How about the button say "save and close"

That would imply that changes are applied when you click the button - that's not the case, all changes are applied immediately.
We can lie for the greater cause of keeping it user friendly Wladimir ? ;)
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

It is possible to drag commands from the context menu.

Also I was not able to use Ctrl + V to paste a filter into the custom filter section.
Wladimir Palant

Hubird wrote:It is possible to drag commands from the context menu.
Nice catch! Fixed: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/b4fa351722ac
Hubird wrote:Also I was not able to use Ctrl + V to paste a filter into the custom filter section.
For me it works. Is your list sorted maybe? Then it would be pasted into a location you might not expect.
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

Minor bug ver 2.0b.3272

The new build gave me a new post install page.

i have many lists enabled. but it says Malware Domains is being used to block ads but nothing else (is it because it is at the top of the list) ?
also the link to the home page of malware domains don't work.
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

When i want to edit a custom adblocking rule (not a element hiding or whitelisting) from the Blockable items window,
the filter preferences window opens up but the concerned rule doesn't get selected instead the whitelisting section does which is at the top.

Also in the release announcement of the beta you have said searching is not possible, but ctrl + F works fine.