[Done] Redesigning preferences dialog

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development

Re: [Roadmap] Redesigning preferences dialog

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote: There is a slight complication: what if the user hides the toolbar icon? So far the only way to bring it back is via preferences dialog. I think the solution is to remove "Show in toolbar" option in applications that allow toolbar customization (especially Firefox). The user can remove the toolbar icon by customizing the toolbar - and get it back the way. For applications where the toolbar is not customizable (e.g. SeaMonkey) the option needs to be kept but unchecking both "Show in toolbar" and "Show in status bar" should not be possible - at least one of the icons needs to be displayed.
SeaMonkey *has* customizable toolbars since 2.0 and SeaMonkey 1.0 is old and not longer supplied with security updates, so you could drop this option at all.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

You are right, I simply forgot - Adblock Plus uses the toolbar customization mechanism in SeaMonkey of course. After looking through it, it appears that all toolbars in question are customizable by now (even Thunderbird - I am pretty sure the message toolbar wasn't customizable in 3.0 but it is now, Adblock Plus should start using that then).

We still have Prism for example that doesn't have a toolbar - I guess hiding the status bar icon won't be allowed then.
whargh

Post by whargh »

Number 1. Oh god, number 1. Adversity, EasyList and Fanboy as well what would appear to be their respective additional filter lists for privacy and what not (assuming they're not already included in the bolded main list, otherwise complexity strikes again) result in an ad blocking junkie's preferences window with what may just be OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND filters. In such a mess, simply finding subscriptions (let alone managing them) has become as unpossible as understanding quantum mechanics. The other 5 are great ideas as well, but first and foremost AdBlock is in desperate need of condensed subscription management. How many subscriptions do I even have at this point? HOW MANY?! I...I don't even know anymore. The preferences window is a wall of filters. A wall of filters...OF DOOM! The horror. Even the great Lord Cthulu would dare not take up such a challenge lest he himself be bested.
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Ok. So you prefer options in context menus ?
Personally, I prefer options to be accessible when I go in extension options. :twisted:

Why not a third tab "options" just after "filter subscription" and "custom filters" ?
Just a though. If options are in contextual menus, it does not bother me...
Wladimir Palant

This dialog is all about filters, the options are simply out of place there and most people don't find them there (or misunderstand their scope). Currently there are three ways to get to the preferences:

1. Through the icon's menu - this menu has options already, no point going to preferences for that.
2. Through the Tools menu - this menu item should probably be removed, it isn't terribly useful anyway. And with Firefox 4 making the menu invisible by default it becomes pointless.
3. Through Options button in Add-on manager - some people seem to use this one, making that button open the icon's menu seems to be a more meaningful behavior. And it will allow tweaking options without going to preferences dialog.
maybee

Post by maybee »

I think you would be better to change the order of tab.
Now : Filter Subscription tab --- Custom Filter tab
suggested statu : Custom Filter tab --- Filter Subscription tab

Reason : Generally Users Add/edit/delete Custom filers more than Filter Subscriptions frequently.
After installing Adblock Plus At first users add Filter subscription they want to add on add filter subscription page, then almost continue to use it or add/delete it occasionally. With Subscribing Filter lists Users add/edit/delete custom filters For so many uses frequently, including blocking ads, redesigning webpages, blocking something for security, etc. I think left tab is more important than right tab on the practical side.
What do you think about it?
Wladimir Palant

It's not so much about changing preferences, very often users open this dialog simply to get an idea about their settings. Here filter subscriptions are more important, they give a good overview of the really important settings.
Wladimir Palant

Some very early work in progress:

This is only the filter subscriptions part. The final dialog should look approximately like that for users who haven't switched to advanced mode - though hopefully with fewer subscriptions that in my test account.

PS: For those who prefer to try things out themselves - the code lives on the "experimental" branch right now. It will be merged to the default branch once this user interface is somewhat usable.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Will domain whitelists be displayed in the basic preferences view? Also, why does only RU AdList and EasyList have a homepage link?
Wladimir Palant

Michael wrote:Will domain whitelists be displayed in the basic preferences view?
Yes, I realized that I will need a tab for that. For advanced view it will be replaced by an overview of all custom filters.
Michael wrote:Also, why does only RU AdList and EasyList have a homepage link?
Because homepage link processing isn't there yet - the link in the screenshot is a fake for testing only. Actually, lots of things aren't there yet.
Wladimir Palant

Now subscription homepage links are extracted from comments like "! Homepage: http://example.com/" - https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/03886c90baae
Also updated combineSubscriptions.py script to take these comments into consideration: https://hg.adblockplus.org/sitescripts/rev/8d08288b0277
Michael

Post by Michael »

Would it please be possible to specify multiple homepages in a single comment to take into account the number of recommended combination subscriptions?
Wladimir Palant

Our current approach is that combined subscriptions have only one homepage - e.g. RuAdList+EasyList has http://code.google.com/p/ruadlist/ as its homepage. This makes sense given that:

a) Multiple homepages are confusing to users (which one to choose?).
b) Russian-speakers (similarly users of most other combined subscriptions) prefer contacting somebody in their language, this somebody can then forward the report should it concern EasyList.

Any good reasons why we should change that?
Michael

Post by Michael »

Now that I've considered your argument - no, probably not.
Wladimir Palant

Updated work in progress screenshot:
As far as subscription management goes, the functionality is almost complete. What's missing is the functionality to reorder subscriptions as well as some code to make that "Add filter subscription" button work.

Some pretty significant core changes were necessary as well but I think that those are mostly done now.