New Feature Request: Temporary Filters

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
ad1mt

New Feature Request: Temporary Filters

Post by ad1mt »

New Feature Request: Temporary Filters.

I would like to see a "temporary" option when creating a filter. This would be used when visiting a web page that one is unlikely to visit again, and would avoid clogging up the filter list with unnecessary filters. Temporary filters would exist only for the current session, and would disappear when Firefox was exited.

PS: adblock is a great add-on by the way... I love it!

Regards,
Mark Taylor.
Wladimir Palant

Re: New Feature Request: Temporary Filters

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Sounds like something that is relatively easy to implement and worth considering. Would mean having a checkbox in filter composer ("Temporary filter, for this session only", not checked by default) and a similar checkbox column in Preferences (for own filters only, not for subscriptions). Filters marked as "temporary" would not be saved to patterns.ini meaning that they would disappear after a browser restart. What do other people think about this? Comments?

Moved to Future development forum for further discussion.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I would recommend it have it's own listing under preferences like 'My Element Hiding Rules' & 'My Ad Blocking Rules' do say like 'My Temp Rules'. Just a thought to make them easy to find in case you change your mind and want to make them permanent and to keep them separate. I'm not sure you wasn't saying you was going to do this Wladimir but thought I would suggest it just in case you wasn't.
Designer

Post by Designer »

I would like a feature that is site specific. Sites use ads from other sites, and sometimes the ad is not loading properly or something, which slows things down. I don't see any ad anywhere, the site just loads something from an other site for some reason, still.

For example I go to site 1 and I see it loading something from site 2, not ad, but something. Well, I don't want to block that site 2, because it happens to be a site, that I also visit. So I would like to block site 2 only when I am in site 1.
adam218

Post by adam218 »

should be able to right click on a certain ad on a page where adblock plus has been disabled and block one ad at a time :?: :!: :?: :!: PLEASE :D
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

^^the filter rules are more fine-grained than blocking or allowing individual sites, but generally you should consider the $third-party option to your filter if you want to block all content from a certain site except when you are on that site
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
senton1

Post by senton1 »

I would suggest it have it's own listing under preferences like 'My Element Hiding Rules' & 'My Ad Blocking Rules' do say like 'My Temp Rules'. Only a shown to get them to easy to find should you change your mind as well as make sure they are permanent also to keep them separate. I'm not sure you wasn't saying you would definitely do that Wladimir but thought I would suggest it just in the event you wasn't