[Roadmap] Remove filter adding interface for "regular" users

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

Re: Remove filter adding interface for "regular" users

Post by Wladimir Palant »

LorenzoC wrote:the same goes for hidden options
There will be no hidden options - it will be a proper visible option. But people still have to go looking in the Adblock Plus user interface to find it. They will not click the "Block" button on the video they are watching thinking that it will do something cool.
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

First let me say I appreciate your work, don't get me wrong about it.
My feeling is just that ABP was originally made to give people the power to remove annoyances from sites they visit and now we are saying "regular" people are too stupid or lazy to make use of that power, so in their best interest they are encouraged to load a subscription and don't touch anything else. Which is a sort of philosophical "U turn". Yes, the Internet has changed and probably the user base as well. Maybe it is just be having problems in adapting. :)
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

"Regular" people are looking for the "hands off" kind of power ;)
frank

Post by frank »

I think the user just want it to work, he even does not want to choose a filterlist, it should work instant. I Install ABP and there should be an list already added, so there is no need to choose ("Which one?", "What does the program want from me?") from (less is more!)
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

I agree.

But unfortunately I also think this approach is INCOMPATIBLE with a tool whose goal is to give the user the CONTROL over stuff loaded in his/her browser. This is the reason why I suggested to divide ABP in two branches, "stripped down ABP" + default filters (not even subscriptions like you said) and "full ABP" with inspecting/composing/editing tools without subscriptions.

I know this is not realistic. It is just the principle.