UsaToday.com has beaten Adblock Plus

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development

UsaToday.com has beaten Adblock Plus

Postby bum4evr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:58 pm

This board does not have a General Discussion forum so this is the closest I could find.

Adblock plus is now useless on UsaToday.com, I tried it on Chrome and Edge and the same thing happens, the site gets grayed out and a large window appears giving you a choice of either disabling your adblocker or paying $5 a month to go with no ads. The window cannot be clicked away or gotten rid of, you either have to pay the money or live with their ads.

Viewing the site with ads is absolutely terrible. Click on a news story and check out the page that opens, there is a full size video ad that plays in the background behind the text, there is a video ad playing in the right bottom corner and when you scroll down there is another video ad playing under the first few paragraphs, and none of those can be stopped or clicked away.(sometimes the right side ad can be clicked away if the page happens to have a news video that goes with that story) Scroll down a few more paragraphs and you get still image ads and since the text is all squeezed in the center of the page you get more ads on the right side. And lets not forget the ads at bottom of page, I counted 26 ads placed in between news links.

My favorite is "Doctors are begging you to not eat this one vegetable!" click on it and its a 40 minute video to sell you pills.

Developers help!!!

Sean G
bum4evr

Re: UsaToday.com has beaten Adblock Plus

Postby greiner » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:30 pm

That sounds quite bad. I'd suggest reporting this issue to EasyList because they're the ones writing the rules that tell ad blockers what should be blocked. Hopefully they can help you with that problem.

It may be worth mentioning though that, due to the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), usatoday.com is very clean when accessing it from Europe. Maybe you can access that page also from outside Europe by browsing to eu.usatoday.com or by using a VPN.
greiner
ABP Developer

Postby mapx » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:53 am

I get no issue using european / us ip
mapx

Postby bum4evr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:01 am

Here is what mine looks like:

bum4evr

Return to Adblock Plus development